Chapter 21: Please Don't Let it be Grant

You know what the worst part of waking up and remembering that you'd kissed the daylights out of an extremely charming masked man whose identity remained a mystery to you is? The realisation that because your life is weird and puts you into crazy situations, there was basically nobody you could really talk to about it.

 Grace was the biggest temptation since she'd already twigged on a little, but I'd have to do a lot more explaining and I didn't think I could do that yet. 

Lexa knew nothing, and it was best it stayed that way, as much as it pained me. The only girlfriend who knew about him and me spending time together was Gaia, and we weren't that close. 

Besides, the less the other Supers knew about something like this, the better; not only was there a lot at stake with Morgan on the prowl, but I would never forget the humiliation of Cobalt and Shadow.

 Neither Seb nor I would want to discuss the gory details with each other.

All in all though, I felt little regret for what I'd done. I had no idea where it would take me, but it was satisfying to think that I'd taken back a little power for myself. My brain muttered sullenly now and then about how that might be the grown up version of dating the guy your parents hated to rebel, but I mostly ignored this.

Besides, if I didn't know who he was, how could my parents hate him, right?

Sure.

I'd told him last night that I didn't care in that moment who he was, and it was true, but we'd both known it wouldn't last. How could I not wonder? I was obviously drawn to something about him, and he had a very attractive lower face, but even his eyes weren't really him. Would he still be the same person when the mask and the kit were gone?

He hadn't exactly admitted it, but it'd been pretty clear to me that he knew me outside of being Enigma. When I thought back to our first meeting, I realised how amused he'd seemed when I told him he knew nothing about me. Had I already met him, even then?

That's when it really sank in for me that last night, I'd kissed not just a masked man, but one of the men I knew in my 'other,' day to day life.

It was somehow both an uncomfortable and an exhilarating feeling all at once.

Part of me begged myself to keep it an exciting mystery, because the truth was too uncertain; too scary; too real, but the other half was already whirring through the possibilities. After all, wasn't it a little unfair that whoever he was, he knew so much about all the parts of my life I kept secret, while I didn't even know his name?

At least, I didn't know it yet.

The thing was, I didn't have that wide a circle of male acquaintances, and it seemed to me that he knew me more than just in passing.

Oh god, please don't let it be Grant, I thought with a bolt of panic, before feeling a little guilty. 

Poor Grant. It wasn't that he was unattractive, he was just not at all my type. Luckily, I had a pretty good idea that the feeling was mutual. 

Plus, Enigma had read my books and I know that Grant would probably rather poke his own eyes out than do that.

Admittedly, I didn't really know who else might have actually read them. They all knew I was a writer, so he must have been amused when I told him about that thinking he wasn't aware.

I sat up and pressed my fingers to my temples, trying to force some space into my cluttered head. Ruminating about it in bed all day wouldn't be very productive, and it would probably drive me mad.