Chapter 5

Celeste

Elyse's small arms held the bear tightly as she buried her head into my chest. I held her as close as I could as I carried her out of the orphanage and towards my small home.

As I was passing the library, I noticed a large mass of people standing in the main square. They were chanting something until one person finally stepped onto the edge of the fountain in the same place Cedric had stood the day before.

"What are they doing?" Elyse hiccuped in my arms. I didn't answer, but it didn't take the person long to answer for us.

"These people have disgraced our religions, our saviors! They conform to the blasphemy of a religion in this forsaken world and they must be punished!" The white haired man shouted as he held a staff above his head, shaking it violently and the crowd around him cheered. "Any who dares to use magic will perish! This is our duty to honor our faith!"

"Down with magic!" The people chanted, their voices rising with every phrase, their fists pumping in the air.

"So it has begun." I whispered and held the child tighter in my arms, my knuckles turning bright white.

"Ele!" A familiar deep voice shouted and I turned to face Cedric as he glanced between me and the crowd of people.

"I'm guessing you heard?" I questioned and his eyes darkened as he glanced at the crowd of people near the fountain.

"Heard? No, I saw the remnants of their atrocity." He grunted and then tensed as he noticed Elyse. "It isn't safe for her out here, right now. You should take her to her home."

"I was taking her now until I noticed them." I stated and he nodded.

"Watch yourself, Ele. These people will not go down quietly and they'll do everything they can." Cedric told me before turning towards the others and watching them with angry faces. "Make sure to lock your door, as well. My men and I will try to put a stop to this-"

"Adding violence to violence will not get rid of it." I told him and he snorted.

"And how did you get to be so wise?"

"My father." I tightened my hold on Elyse and felt her nuzzle into my chest with a soft whine. "I wish you luck with them, but I-"

"Captain!" A voice shouted from behind me and I turned to see a lanky blond boy running towards us, pinning a small stack of books against his chest.

"Dammit." The older man swore and grabbed the boy's arm when he got closer. "I ordered that no priest or magician is to be left alone or outside!"

"Why magic users?" I demanded as the young boy attempted to pry his arm out of Cedric's grip. "Are they-"

"They're killing magic users and, from what they're chanting, it's because they're disgracing whatever damned religion they believe in." Cedric sighed angrily and then turned towards me. "I have to do this, but will you house him for awhile? Dustin or I will pick him up after we're done with this."

"I don't mind." I glanced between the two of them, the irritated captain to the confused and scared teenager beside me. "But do you think it's wise to send him with me? I can't protect him if they come."

"Yeah, but those notes you gave us. People can't enter a house without the owner's permission." Cedric reminded me with a bitter sigh before turning towards the boy. "Gabriel, go with Celeste and stay there until further notice."

"But-"

"But nothing!" Cedric's eyes narrowed angrily. "That was an order, not a request."

I sighed after a moment before reaching out to the boy named Gabriel. "Come on, let's get somewhere safe." I told him and he sighed, but nodded.