Chapter 7

Dustin

"I can't believe you three!" I shouted and kicked at Hayden's leg under the table.

"I can't believe that you almost got yourself killed. Twice." Cassy leaned forward and grabbed Hayden's hand.

"Why didn't you three just come up to me? Why'd you have to wait while we were in the damn dungeon?" I leaned back in my chair and crossed my arms.

"Because it sounded more fun?" Leo chuckled and pushed his glasses up further his nose.

"Probably as much fun as it is for you to still wear those glasses." Hayden snorted. He slipped his hand out of Cassy's and leaned forward, propping his arms on the table. "So, now that we found each other, what's next?"

"Wait, go back, I thought we agreed not to give him shit about having glasses." My head tilted to the side as the three of them laughed.

"Yeah, only because he needed them back in the real world." Hayden retorted, elbowing Leo in the ribs.

Leo shrugged when I stared at him in confusion. "Don't ask me because I don't have a clue. But, ever since coming here, there's been nothing wrong with my eyesight."

"Seriously?"

"He's not the only one. A lot of people with physical ailments like asthma, poor eyesight, broken or fragile limbs have no remnants of it here." Cassy turned towards me with a small smile. "It's like, what bothered us in the real world, didn't come here with us."

"Which would make some people not want to leave." I whispered and the three of them nodded.

"I wonder if that was something the asshole who put us here thought about when he created it." Leo sighed.

"Maybe he did." I muttered and looked down at my hands. "If he did, then I wonder how he decided who would come here."

"It doesn't make sense." Cassy agreed, resting her arms and head on the table. "Though, I wish it didn't happen. I wish we could just be meeting at one of our places again, eating those chicken tender things that Hayden's mom buys all the time."

"I thought all of our parents bought it for us now!" Leo laughed.

"Shut up." Cassy grumbled and Hayden reached over and grabbed her hand. "I just wanna go home."

"I know." I nodded and patted her shoulder for a moment. "If it makes you feel any better, at least we're together, right?"

"I just wish we could have gotten Sam to join the fighting too." Cassy sighed as she puled herself up from the table and turned towards me. "Do you think she'll be OK at the orphanage taking care of those kids?"

"I'm sure she'll be fine and we can always go back and see her." Leo interjected then stretched. "Just use those teleportation things in the town square and we can go back and forth as much as we want!"

"That's true!" Hayden shook Cassy's shoulder happily. "We'll go see her every night that we can and harass her until she kicks us out!"

"So, in other words, what we'd do back home all the time, eh?" Cassy bit back a smile before shaking her head. "You're right though, I'm sure she'll be fine."

Hayden grinned as his hand ruffled her short hair. She batted his hand away and eyes him from the corner of her eye. "Don't make me shoot you."

"Hey!" He yanked his hand back while Leo and I snorted.

"This is what you get for dating a girl in the archery club." Leo chuckled and ducked as Hayden aimed a punch at him.

"Well, aren't you four a lively bunch." A familiar deep voice laughed and I looked up to see Ford standing above us, his right hand held up in some kind of salute. "Mind if I join you, sir?"