Chapter 6

He gave me a look of confusement as I sat down. Even though he didn't say it, I could see the questions in his eyes. "Why did you sit here? Why aren't you calling me weird like everyone else? Why do you seem... different to me somehow? Why?" I answered a few of them. "I saw you needed help with number 2. I figured I could help you," I told him, and began to show him the steps of how to do the problem. I admit, we occasionally got off topic and laughed. It was fun, just the two of us sitting there, talking and laughing and working out problems. Then I made a mistake and I guess he made one at the same time. We both reached for the eraser. His hand fell just on top of mine. I instantly tuned out all sound except us. I looked up. He smiled. He blushed. He looked me in the eyes. Then we fell back to earth. "I'm sorry, you can use it first," I told him, looking away, blushing all the while. "No, that's ok, you can use it," He told me. Then it almost happened again. But then we heard, "Ok guys, the period's over, see you tomorrow!" We both got up and walked out of the room. We walked close to each other, but not as close as usual. All these thoughts went running through my head. "Why did he smile? Did he really need an eraser, or did he plan that to happen? Did he like me too?" All of these questions distracted me, and before I knew it, I was face-first down on the stairs. Piero helped me up, and we continued walking. The day went on normally.