Letter Three

Letter Three

Nora sits on a bench in the park. She watches two children, about thirteen, sit at the top of the monkey bars. The girl is looking down and the boy is smiling. The girl looks at the boy and kisses him hesitantly.

The two cause Nora to drift back to when she was thirteen. It was her first love and first kiss who she wants to write to next. He stole her heart but he moved away and she didn't seem him again until he moved back two years later. The boy showed Nora what love was even if it was a more basic kind.

Nora leaves the park and gets back to her silver Honda. She had researched an address at home and taken money from what used to be her college fund. Nora finds the building she was looking for and goes into the small house like building. The girl spots the receptionist with her green eyes and introduces herself.

"Hello. I'm Lenora Jacobs? I called earlier and made an appointment to see Mr Jackson." She stated confidently.

"Oh! Hi sweetie. He's in his office so you can just head on back." The old receptionist tells her kindly.

Nora's legs shakily carry her to the man's office. She's not sure why she's so nervous. On the other side of the door she has approached sits a kind man waiting to see what a seventeen year old would need his assistance for.

Nora knocks quietly and hears the man call her in. "Hi, Mr Jackson."

"You must be Lenora. Please sit." The man tells her, gesturing to a chair on the other side of his desk.

"I prefer Nora. I wanted to create a will." The sick girl gets straight to her point, yet again.

"Why is that?" The lawyer, who seems to be in his forties, asks curiously.

"I have a rare muscle disease and I won't be able to live for more than another year, so I wanted to make sure I had everything sorted." Nora explains carefully.

"Of course. What did you want to start with?"

"I wanted to donate any organs possible to medical research and I wanted to split the money I have in a trust and bank account so that a quarter each goes to a medical research charity and my friend's college fund and the other half goes to my mom."

"Well, I can tell you what you can do. You can go home and write up the fine details and come back and I'll deal with the legal matters with you."

"Before I leave I wanted to ask you a question. I've been writing letters that I want people to have when I die; would you be able to distribute them?"

"Of course Nora. Now I have another client coming in, in a minute so I'll see you when you've done everything." Mr Jackson dismisses Nora and they exchange a smile and a handshake before she leaves and goes back home.

As soon as Nora gets home she jumps on her typewriter and starts her third letter.

Dear Matthew,

I bet you're curious about receiving a letter from me. Why would the dead girl write to you? Sorry that was probably insensitive. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know, even if it was five or so years ago, you still changed my views.

You, Matthew Smith, were my first love. You stole my first kiss and I'm glad it was you because you were so sweet. The kiss tasted like the oranges we'd both just eaten so it was sweet and tangy. You and I were nervous so it was a tender and soft kiss. You made me fall in love with you and I don't regret it at all because I had this idea in my head that all guys were arrogant jerks. You changed that idea and I thank you.

You were the one, as cliché as it may sound, that made me realize that life was full of little surprises. I know we were only thirteen and what thirteen year old knows what love is? But to me it was and I hope you don't find that strange. I wanted to thank you. So thanks.

People say you will always love your first love. They're right. I still love you, Matt, but just not in the same way.

Sorry for the cheesiness,

Lenora Leigh Jacobs.