Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

Ethan was an intimating otherworldly being. I remembered meeting him at the club and how easily he agreed to help my plight, but still, he was worthy of keeping your guard up around. Caleb and I met up with Ethan in the parking lot of the SCF building. I didn’t ask questions about the choice of meeting spot, even though I was curious.

Ethan spoke up first. “Are your memories back in tact?”

“Yup, my noggin is firing on all cylinders. I don’t know anymore than I did before about the demon but I do know what the witches are looking for.  Caleb says we can trust you.”

“I don’t conduct any business with demons or witches. I have however worked side by side with Bess, if you’d like a glowing recommendation. I owe the alpha here a solid and he’s cashing in, nothing more nor less.” He shrugged as if to say take it or leave it.

“Ok, then. Let’s take this inside.” I lead the way inside to one of the empty offices. It was peak hours for patrolling and I found everyone gone except for Dawn, the newly hired receptionist. The girl was human and liked to keep her head down, she barely acknowledged us walking past her. I opened the office door and flicked on the light. “Bess is probably still here, we should invite her to this pow wow.” I left the men alone in the office and continued by myself to the boss lady’s quarters. “Hey.”

She looked up from her computer screen. “I wasn’t expecting to see you back again tonight.”

“I took care of the spell thing and then we ended up meeting Ethan here in the parking lot. We’re going to toss around some ideas and I thought you’d want to join us. The quicker we can lock up the Martins, the better.”

“Agreed.”  Bess lowered her computer screen.

The office we were using was a miscellaneous one, an extra space used by any of the officers who needed it and didn’t have an office to call their own. More and more, I was the one putting claim on the space.  Ethan was seated causally on the simple chocolate colored couch while Caleb opted to stand. Bess walked over to the desk and pulled an unused notepad from the drawer.

“Let’s make note of what we already know.” She kept her head down ready to write. I thought she did it to avoid the very handsome creature taking up space on the couch.

I went first. “We know the Martin witches are three siblings led by Alexandra and they deal in black magic.” I stopped and walked over to the door to put a privacy spell on it. We were in public after all, where anyone could walk through the front entrance. “I confronted the bitch and she used her demon pal to put a powerful hex on me that backfired.”

Ethan went next. “As I explained to Caleb, the witches are known for a spell of compulsion to make their mark of choice bend to their will. The demon aids them as the magic gets darker. From what I was told, this isn’t the first time the demon has been connected to the family of witches. I’m waiting to hear more.”

Bess’ hand stopped moving across the paper but her head stayed down. “Hear from whom?”

 “Yeah.” I echoed. “We need to keep track of all the players to this chess game.”

“Lorelei. She’s an exorcist in these parts.”

I frowned while trying to remember how I knew that name. I snapped my fingers. “I know her! She stays at La Amour a lot, right?” I directed my inquiry to the man who would know, not before noticing Bess’ tense expression.

“She calls the seventh floor home.”

“She’s a good tipper. I didn’t know what she did for a living though. Ok, so she knows something about the Martins demon, cool.” I wasn’t against some outside help. I already tangled with the Martins on my own and I didn’t like the outcome at all.