Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

There was no way in fucking hell I was taking Caleb to a meeting with Michael. I wasn’t insane. Instead, we headed over to Caleb’s house. I wasn’t in the mood to face my sister’s endless questions and there was some pack business concerning my own witch business he wanted to sort out. Somewhere along the lines he called Jared and Jake because they were in the living room waiting when we arrived.

“Hey, guys.” I greeted. “Aren’t you sick of getting involved in my crazy messes? Why don’t you try telling Caleb to butt out?”

Jake laughed. “Yeah, because that would go over well. Your messes are tame compared to a week on the SCF field or a day with Zoe.”

“That’s comforting. Would you happen to know why Bess is extra tense? Is there something going on around the SCF office?” I wasn’t there for the nightly meetings like Jake was. I came when I was called in for magic based investigations.

Jake’s grey eyes softened. “They’re still reeling over Gavin’s murder.” They were Bess, Zoe, and Matthew. “She’s biting off a lot more to keep busy. She mentioned last night there’s a demon in play concerning your witch nemesis.”

“I don’t know anything about him or why he’d do Alexandra’s bidding. We’re going to need some demon protection.” I explained.

“Chase might know of something. Bess is probably talking to him now. That should brighten up her day somewhat.” Jake was looking for the silver lining.

“You know?” I was surprised and careful not to break Bess’ trust by revealing too much.

“That Bess is in love with my brother? I think the only person who doesn’t know is Chase. He’s always been blind about those sorts of things.”

“He isn’t the only one.” Caleb chimed in with an obvious dig at me. “I’ve called you both here because I want you at tonight’s meeting. Four o’clock at SCF headquarters.” His second and third in command asked no questions. They’d be there no matter what. I thought that type of loyalty was noble and terrifying at the same time. I didn’t know how to blindly follow, I had to ask questions and know for myself in detail what to expect. Sometimes I envied what the pack had, knowing that someone had their back and they didn’t have to worry about protecting themselves. We never had that at The Coven, sometimes it felt like our Elders were the ones trying to sabotage us, not protect us.

“There’s another matter on the table.” Jake spoke, subtlety looking at me as the outsider in the group.

“You can talk in front of Evangeline. I’m not worried abut her betraying us to the others and we might as well get used to her standing in at our meetings. She’s going to be my mate, just soon as she figures out this is where she belongs.”

My eyes doubled in size and I stopped breathing but not before some weird choking sound left my mouth. The Caleb Nikolas I thought I knew was a very reserved guy who kept his feelings very close to his chest. I wasn’t used to this painfully blunt man throwing my life into a tailspin.

Jared’s grin was cheeky and he didn’t look surprised at all. Jake on the other hand blinked a few times. He wasn’t used to Caleb’s bluntness either.

My head was swimming to the point I felt sick. “You’re going to be the death of me.” I turned around and walked out the front door. I made it to the last step of the porch. I sat with my head between my knees and prayed I didn’t hurl all over Caleb’s front lawn.

Six years ago Michael’s bite granted me immortality but that was it. I was still human at my core and humans got sick, humans felt tired and weak. I was scared and it had nothing to do with the powerful witch family and their pet demon trying to hurt me. My fear belonged to Caleb.