Chapter 16

I spied the door leading to the holding cells just as I reached the elevator. Prisoners were kept on the top floor, furthest away from the exit and closest to the deadliest agents, behind thick, bulletproof glass where they would await their trial. Barnes was either in there or the interrogation room, pondering his fate. I wondered if he knew Mika – he claimed not to know an Augustine while in France – and expected his premature end was on its way.

            My insides clenched at the sight of Mika storming across the room, fury written into his features as he walked away from Alistair's office. I almost smile; he must have had a word with Alistair about his adventure to France. However, the humour on my lips soon died as he threw open the doors to the interrogation room, letting them slam behind him as he took that anger with him.

            "He's not the happiest person in the world, is he?" said Gabby, alerting me to her presence.

            Mika's threat rehashed in my mind. Gabby needed a warning – Collins too – but I could not have gotten away with telling her outright with Mika's mindless minions being within a few metres of us at all times.

            Gabby was an intelligent woman, and did not need to be told explicitly that something was wrong.

            "He came here quite quickly," I remarked.
"He did," Gabby replied with a sigh.
"I'm sure he must have appeared in Alistair's emails frequently," I said. "After all, the two seem very close considering he just appeared from nowhere." As his secretary, Gabby had permanent access to Alistair's emails. She should have seen Mika's name somewhere that hinted to what they had planned.
"Actually, no," Gabby replied. "My access got blocked just before he got here. Alistair claimed it was due to a recent system change but I'm not too sure."
I took a chance – a leap of faith in Gabby. "See if you can find any mention of him in Alistair's emails."
"But I don't have access to—"
"What skills do you bring to this agency?"
She frowned, perfectly plucked brows knitting in worry. "Planning, translations and hacking."
I raised an eyebrow at her last word. "You have the skills, you have the access."
She gulped with a nod. "I take it this hasn't gone through official programmes," she muttered.
I shook my head ever so subtly. "I would not ask for your help if I did not need it. And this stays between us. Don't let Alistair know."
She let out a restricted gasp, appearing to understand.

            "I've been told to go home for the night," I explained. "Let me know when you find something."

            I took a few steps back until I got another nod from her, then turned around and entered the elevator, feeling a sudden flutter at the thought of what happened the last time I was in it.

            Gabby could work both quickly and quietly, and I hoped this would be the case again. I would have attracted attention if I stayed in the office against Alistair's wishes, but if Gabby collected evidence under the radar, there was I chance of stopping Alistair before his plan fell into motion.

            I glanced between the four corners of the elevator's ceiling to settle my own anxiety, stiffening up at the blinking red dot at the front-left, facing towards the back.

My legs almost buckled, hands gripping the railing.
"Shit."

Gabby Kingston

A request from Amber was an order in my own head, and I was prepared to help her however I could.

            I did not begin the walk back to my desk until I saw the elevator door close behind her. She sighed slowly as she leaned against the rail, running a hand through her hair with a glance towards the interrogation room.