Chapter 18

Gabby Kingston

After unlocking the garage for Scotty to take the helicopter, I headed back towards the top floor, following a hunch.

If Alistair had organised a different location to hold the meeting, it was likely he had booked a flight in order to save time. I slipped into his office as I watched Alistair leave it, gun in hand, and delicately shut the door behind me to begin rummaging through the drawers of his desk.

I came across a few printed photos in one of the drawers and paused. The one topping the pile showed his family; his beautiful wife and fawn-haired daughter when she was still a child. Alistair smiled in the picture, appearing as nothing more than a normal father. The second had me frozen.

In the scene, Alistair presented Amber with a certificate, dated 2010, signifying her acceptance into the agency. Both of them clasped it tightly, Amber proud with Alistair prouder.

I put it back, pushing away my thoughts and continued to search for boarding passes. After a few minutes, I spotted them beneath the picture drawer.

They were returning-flight tickets, dated for early in the morning on the 5th of November. Beneath them was Alistair's passport, as well as a receipt for a hired car that would be available from 10:00AM of the same day. There, it showed the exact address as to where the meeting would be held.

"There it is," I gasped. We had him!

I grabbed the tickets and rushed outside to alert Collins. I burst through the doors, beaming with joy as I found him slouched in a nearby chair.
"Collins!" I exclaimed. "I've got it. We—"

A deafening click rendered me motionless. I frowned at Collins, who let out a sigh. Beneath his platinum fringe, I found his eyes sad, a purple mark forming below the left.

"Sit down, girly," Mika warned. I held up my hands, gulping at the abyss within the pistol's barrel, and lowered into the office chair opposite Collins, mouthing where's Amber?

He shrugged, reaching for his abdomen and wincing at the movement. Collins had been beaten, his soft features bruised, and knotted tie pulled halfway down his chest. My heart sunk at the sight of it – Collins did not deserve such treatment.

"Here comes your boss." All three of us watched Alistair's figure storm through the rooftop doors, a thundercloud following him as he sped through the aisle of the office desks. "Where are they?" Mika asked.
"They escaped," said Alistair, his tone wavering but calm. I shared a subtle smile with Collins – Scotty made it in time.
"Damn," Mika hissed. "Dammit!" He kicked an office chair, rolling it towards and desk to it toppled over, making me jump.
"Will you refrain from damaging any more furniture?" Alistair scolded. "There is no need for this brutish behaviour."
"She got away! She got him away."
"With what evidence?" Alistair replied. "Neither can prosecute us in the next few days. We will be fine."
Mika scowled. "This was not what I was promised. I want Barnes—"
"Dead, I know. But this cause is superior than your petty revenge. You will have him when we are done. They cannot hide forever."

They wouldn't – at least Amber would not hide when she knew she had the power to stop disaster. I did not know Barnes, however; his main goal could have been self-preservation for all I knew.

The Director shook his head at his Second-in-Command.
"I thought you were loyal."
Collins coughed, voice wet with blood, "To my country."
Alistair drew out a long sigh. "You are resilient, Collins, I will give you that. You would have made a great asset."
Collins raised his chin. "I suppose we have both disappointed each other."