4. book covers

there is a reason why wattpad lets you make/change your own book covers, so don't leave your cover empty (and boring)!

not many people know this, but the wattpad cover size is 256 x 400 or about 2:3.

EDIT: alright everyone is attacking me in the comments saying the ratio is 512:800. y'all 256:400 is just half of that. if you're using Picsart, you can just zoom out and get the same ratio pls 😩

1. avoid using low-quality pictures
as mentioned earlier in the first chapter (1. || icon & cover), low-quality pictures don't look very pleasing — pick a clearer photo instead.

2. make a theme
if you have two or more books, you could maybe have the book covers in the same color scheme, font, design, etc. you could even make it the same color/shade to match your icon and header (extra brownie points for that!).

3. the contrast between picture and text
try to give colour contrast to your cover, but not too much. for example, if you add text to your cover and the picture/background is a dark colour, use a light colour for the text and vice versa. if the background and text are the same colour, the text would not be very visible nor eye-catching.

4. fonts
dafont.com has the best place for fonts. it'll make your cover look way more interesting and eye-catching than a plain sans serif font. rest assured, checking out that website won't be a waste of your time.

TIP: if you plan on using 2 or more fonts for your cover, pair cursive/calligraphy fonts with capitalised sans serif fonts together. trust me, they will complement each other so well and give a very finished look!

refer to chapters 5 and 8 for some of the popular fonts from dafont.com

5. effects and layers
if you are willing to go the next step to making your cover look good, you came to the right chapter:

you can edit it by adding overlays or effects (I personally recommend Picsart and Superimpose for graphic editing). Picsart is mainly for effects like shadowing, adding a mask, and even combining/blending layers; whereas Superimpose is for making pngs, transparents or giving an outline to your png image.