Chapter Sixteen: Emma

Kidnap My Heart

Chapter 16: Emma

Smuggling things into the garage turned out to be a lot easier than I’d originally thought it would be. All I had to do was ask Will if I could go back to the storage room to grab a jacket in case it got cold inside the garage, and he actually said yes. I thought he was going to ask me where I’d gotten a jacket, but even he must have realized I’d stolen it from him. The rest of my clothes were stolen, after all, except for my underwear and bra. Those were my own, thankfully. They’d finally dried, so I was able to use my own and not Will’s boxers. Those boxers would never seem clean enough to me. Ever.

I managed to sneak in a considerable amount of things. I grabbed the walkie talkie I used to haunt Will—the nice thing about walkie talkies was their ability to transfer voiceovers from a place like, say, Will’s garage—a flashlight, a portable DVD player and a few DVDs—including one of my favorites, Titanic. Why they had it, I didn’t want to know-- some canned food in case Will didn’t bring me enough to eat, two water bottles, my toothbrush, some toothpaste, crazy glue—you never knew—and a blanket. I didn’t even bother trying to hide the blanket. I just carried it out and used it to hide all of the things I’d stuffed in the jacket.

When I came out, Will regarded me suspiciously. “You went in there a skinny girl and came out a fat Eskimo wrapped in a blanket. What’ve you got in there?”

“Only the basic necessities,” I said as I walked past him. “Let’s go. Ooh, grab that foldable chair on your way out. That looks nice.”

He shot me a dirty look. “I don’t think you realize this is a punishment, not a house you can pimp out.”

“Believe me, there’s no way even I could pimp that place out.”

“Emma, this isn’t happening,” he snapped.

I rolled my eyes and turned around to face him. He claimed this wasn’t happening, but he had started to follow me, anyway. “Look, I get it. Your ego is damaged. You’re wounded and vulnerable. That’s okay. What’s not okay is taking it out on me. It’s not my fault you’re so unappealing.”

His jaw clenched. It was an action that almost made me laugh. I figured he was mad enough as it was, so I held in my amusement. “If I were so unappealing, you wouldn’t have gone that far. You kissed me, practically.”

“If that’s your idea of a kiss, you really need to get out more.”

“Believe me, I get out plenty.”

“Not lately, you don’t.”

“You know what?” he asked. “We’re not even gonna discuss this. It’s not worth it. You’re not worth it.”

I smiled at him. I would’ve given him a thumbs up or something to signify how much I didn’t care, but my hands were busy trying to hold everything together. The jacket was starting to droop. “Sounds like I’ve offended you.”

He snorted. “Please. It’s not even a loss. I don’t even care.”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night, Squilliam,” I said, turning back around. “Let’s go before you change your mind and beg me to stay with you again.”

Maybe I was making a stupid choice. It was certainly debatable. I’d had the perfect opportunity to escape the garage dangling right in my face—but at what cost? I would’ve been giving Will exactly what he wanted, and that just wasn’t going to happen. I preferred to suffer myself if it meant he suffered with me. Playing him was the most fun I’d had since his haunting, and if it came at this price, then so be it. I would rather destroy his ego and get sent to the garage than feed into it and live in his room.