19 ~ Torta

James' POV

I start to pace up and down drinking my seventeenth cup of coffee. If there is such thing as a coffee hangover, I'm going to have the worst one tomorrow. But coffee is the best thing to have in stressful situations like this.

Why hasn't Nikki rang me with an update on Adam? Why hasn't Samantha FaceTimed me yet? It's Megan ninth birthday and I can't go see her. I continue to pace up and down the kitchen finishing my cup of coffee. Nikki had gone with Adam to hospital. Sammy and Hanna had gone to visit Megan. And I volunteered to stay at home in case the police had an update.

I fix my eighteenth cup of coffee and walk into the lounge room. How the hell am I suppose to tell Megan that Courtney won't be visiting her anytime soon? How is she going to react? I can't tell her what really happened. Screw this!

I get up from the couch and walk back into the kitchen and grab my phone. Nobody's going to pick up, I thought as I dial the number. I wait and someone picked up on the third ring.

"Hello?" I nearly fainted. Someone picked up!

"Hello? Is anyone there?"

"Hey, I need your help." I mumble.

The silence was terrible as I waited for a reply.

"What with?"

"Courtney." I simply said.

"What's happened to her? Where is she? Is she alright? Nothing's bad has happened to her, has it?

"She's gone missing." I try to hold my tears back.

"Alright, I'll get onto it." They say before hanging up. At least they heard what I had to say.

Oh, screw this! I'm going to hospital! The police know my number if they have any sort of update.

I grab my car keys, wallet, phone, Megan's birthday present and head out the door.

I finally pull up at the hospital and head to the cancer clinic. I grab my access card and head in. I see Adam's girlfriend head into Megan's room and I quickly follow her in.

I see Sammy sitting on a chair next to the bed and Hanna sitting on the floor near the chair. Megan was sitting on the bed, looking sicker than anything. Megan looked up as the door shut and smiled.

"James!" She stretches her hands out for me. I walk over to her and sat down on the bed.

"How's my favourite sister?" I grin at her.

"Ouch James, that really hurt." I hear Hanna mutter sarcastically.

I smile over at her and she attempts to smile back.

"Aren't you suppose to be at home?" I hear Sammy whisper.

"Well, I see how it is. I guess if nobody wants me here, I'll leave."

"But I want you here." Megan perks up. "But I also want Courtney." She frowns.

"Unfortunately she won't be able to come for a while." I thought quickly. What can I tell her? Think James, think! Luckily Adam's girlfriend, Kate came to rescue. I don't know what I'd do without Kate!

"I heard that today was a special day for you. So me and some of the other nurses made you a cake." Kate quickly says.

Megan's frown soon turns back into a smile. She starts clapping her hands.

"I want cake, I want cake!"

"I guess I'll go grab it. Do you want to help me, James? Oh no, whenever Kate takes me out of the room, it's usually bad. I quietly follow her out of the room into the hallway.

"So I saw the news and I just want to say how sorry am I." Kate starts. "I don't want to sound like Megan's mother here but it's not a good idea to tell her what's happening."

"I wasn't planning on telling her. She needs to recovery before any news like this is chucked on her."

"Yeah, but I'm really sorry this happening to you again."

"Yeah, well Megan's going to be waiting for her cake." I say, trying to change the subject.

"Of course, could you help me grab the plates and serviettes?" I nod my head and follow her into the kitchen.

My heart sinks when I saw all the little kids on the ward eating lunch. Why did cancer exist? Why do people have to suffer from cancer? Especially little kids? Cancer sucks, but for little kids? I couldn't imagine having cancer!

I look over at a table to see two little kids, about six with their parents. They were laughing and having fun. How can they be so happy? How could they be so oblivious to what's happening to them? How can they be happy when they could be dead tomorrow?

That's when it clicked in. That's when I knew I had to positive. Marcus' favourite quote came into my head. 'When you let your own light shine,  you unconsciously give others permission to do the same.' By Nelson Mandela. I have to look on the bright side about Courtney's disappearance. I knew she was alive. As far as I know she wasn't hurt.

I walk into Megan's room with a huge smile plastered on my face.

"Is my favourite sister ready for her birthday cake?" I chuckle.

She bursts into fits of giggles and nods her nod constantly. It's so good to see her smile. I look across at Megan's chart. She's my miracle little sister. The amount of health problems she had, when she was born, was scary. She had scarred airways, failure to thrive syndrome, osteoporosis and pervasive developmental disorder. She survived all that and was diagnosed with leukaemia when she was three. She had been in remission for four years when it had came back. The whole family fell apart that year. Lucas walked out of the family and was never heard of since. Dad became more and more distant. Lucy passed away. Adam became the school player and rebel. Courtney was diagnosed with anorexia and bulimia along with depression, anxiety and PTSD. Samantha was diagnosed with clinic depression. Mum's and Jessica's death was effecting us, more and more. It had also been a year since Marcus' death and Courtney's first kidnapping.

My thoughts were interrupted by Marcus' favourite quote again. I've got to keep looking at the positives!

"I thinks it's present time." I grin at Megan.

She had melted chocolate cake all around her face and her hands. Or maybe bathroom time.

"But you're going to have to wash your hands first."

She moans and slowly gets off the bed. She goes over to the bathroom and comes back without any chocolate anywhere. I give her a big grin and chuck a big, soft lump towards her.

"Ooo." She squeals as she ripped the wrapping off and found a huge teddy bear. It was shaped a dog and had big, goofy ears covering its brown eyes. It was nearly as tall as Megan and I could tell she loved it.

I see a present flying through the air and land on the bed near Megan's feet. I turn around to see Sammy grinning and trying to look innocent.

After lots of wrapping paper, giggles, laughs, chuckles and chocolate, we were, leaving Megan the happiest she's been for a while.

***

Hey guys! Thanks for reading my story. Who do you think James was talking to on the phone? Will they find Courtney? I also want to apologise again if my Italian or Spanish is wrong.

- Bethany x