Chapter 2

Trix nervously smiled as she walked into the conference room, greeting the other department heads with a curt nod.

"Shall we get started?" asked Ms. Colton, head of the Human Resources.

Mr. Thompson, the CEO, nodded. He stood in the middle of the long wooden oak table with a row of chairs situated on its sides. After clearing his throat, he threw a gruesome look at his staff.

He's a very dignified man in his late 60′s. An epitome of strength, determination, faith to himself and to God, he outstripped all expectation that others had for him and eventually established his own empire; the Thompson Holding Pty Ltd.

Enough of that crap. He's a guy that earns an average 411 times more than his average white-collar employee. An overpaid corporate fat-cat bastard with gray hair, a small dick with a sexually-frustrated trophy wife and won't hesitate to sell their company and employees down the tubes. He is the lowest form of human life.

"With reports suggesting increased resistance by some insurers, financial losses arising and the added expenses incurred to this effect." A monotonous voice rang across the room. The tension was palpable that the sound of the needle could be heard if dropped on the floor.

Mr. Thompson threw a sharp look at Jason Walker, the head of the Sales Department. a.k.a Mr. Giga, a superior being, smarter than all humans. He is always correct on any subject matter and holds the ultimate truth on how the world should be.

Jason glanced at the woman sitting right across him, Mediatrix Moreno. She is indescribably pleasing, but not necessarily sexually attractive. Her long black hair was thick, yet soft with visible wine auburn highlights. It hangs down to her torso in waves. It's darkness against her fair skin silhouetted her beautifully. Unconventional beauty is something that you don't know what it is, but you think that person is wonderful, in short.

Trix's first-hand knowledge and marketing strategies helped the company raised capital and ultimately became the best financial services corporation in Perth, among those who aspire to be on top.

"The recent economic trends are alarming but our financial services group have assured our customers that they are closely looking after their finances and the customers need not worry," Mr. Thompson continued and the department heads nodded their heads, murmuring opinions to each other.

"This company has so far fared well in comparison to other sections of our financial services and we don't want to fall victim to the global financial crisis," added Mr. Kumar a.k.a Mr. Clean, the head of Finance Department, the name speaks for himself in physical appearance, Mr. Clean of Proctor & Gamble cleaning products advertising.

"Things may not be anywhere near as bad but they aren't good," continued the CEO. "Ms. Moreno," Mr. Thompson called and all heads turned to Trix.

"Yes, Mr. Thompson?" Trix almost chocked out and immediately sat up straight.

"I want you to coordinate with the Sales Department, focus on the importance of cooperation and teamwork between the sales and marketing team."

"Traits they are clearly lacking," commented Mr. Nguyen, head of the Customer Service Department. Much like Mr. Freeze, those of us who know him know that he is merely a misunderstood stoner with horrendous breath.

"I'll go ahead and impose on new a program. The marketing staff is constantly complaining about the sales people 'doing their own thing' and failing to follow central strategy," Trix stated.

"Ms. Moreno, the sales people say that the marketing people are all idle theorists who waste their time at exhibitions and agency lunches and have never done a decent day's work in their lives." Jason beg to differ and stood from his seat.

"I beg your pardon?" Trix asked in disbelief.

"The board is monitoring your performance and over the past couple of weeks your department seems to have been struggling to show good figures rather than 32% loss in revenue, Moreno," Jason said.

"What are you trying to imply?" she asked, acting as if she knew nothing when in fact he was absolutely right.

Trix would never slack at work. Hell, her whole life had become work. But lately, she had been to hell and she was dragging them all with her.

"Stop acting like a lovesick teenager and refrain from getting your personal issues in the way of our job, Moreno. You're not just messing up yours, you're taking all of us down." Jason stared at her like she was some sort of a pathetic loser.

"This is not a brawl, you better get your ass out here and do it outside," said Ms. Lee, head of the Claims Department, who is allegedly having an affair with Mr. Thompson.

"Sorry." They muttered at the same time.

"Excuse me." Trix willed herself not to cry. She took a deep breath and stepped out of the conference room, striding down the corridor with a normal expression.

By the time she made it to the restroom there were tears streaming down her cheeks.

A week had gone since Rafael and she broke up.

Trix had looked older over the past couple of weeks and hardly lost twenty pounds. The weeks she spent investigating, gathering information, proofs and facts that Rafael was cheating had been the most miserable weeks of her life. She felt like the worst person ever. She eagerly looked for the truth that had turned her world upside down.

Rafael was her everything; childhood sweetheart, high school crush, first kiss, first make out, first sex, her first love and the first who broke her heart. He was the only man she ever wanted.

She thought he was perfect. She sang all night while dancing to the tune of Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" when she found out she was pregnant, then there was the miscarriages; one after the other.

He made her laugh and told her what she wanted to hear, and then she saw him holding hands with a girl with a baby bump. What a blow.

After that incident, she didn't want to listen to anything at all. She just wanted to lock herself in her room, call her best friend Olympia and talk for a few hours, insisting that he doesn't mean anything to her and yet she cried herself to sleep.

Trix had isolated herself from the world since then.

Rafael had stripped her down, taken away the final pieces of the broken shell that she was, so that she had no choice but to rebuild. She hated him for making her weak, but she hated herself even more for letting him do that.

Before anyone else could see her, she was out the bathroom, speed-walking to the elevator and stormed out into the sunny afternoon. The air was sticky and balmy; the city was filled with cloying heat.

Her breath caught in her throat as the cigarette smoke hit her, calming her temper instantly. Moving away from the entrance of the smoking area, she leaned back against the stonewall, taking a packet of cigarettes from her pocket and lighting one up. Hands shaking, she took a long drag and slowly exhaled, the nicotine intake beginning to steady her nerves.

****

A/N: Hey Arcangels! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Another one is up! Yay! ^_^