3.

Carys was running. She sprinted down the spiral staircase, her quick, blurred steps looking as if she was barely touching the smooth marble. Once she reached the ground floor, she banked a sharp right and hurtled towards the large set of doors at the end of the hallway. In her haste, she forgot to tie her hair up in its usual plaited bun. With the wind blowing through her hair, the strands flowed behind her like ebony fire; each curled tendril swirled down her back like a flame. She was dressed in her training gear: a shirt and trousers, coupled with her favorite steel-toed boots. Upon approaching the doors, Carys dragged them open and slipped inside.

The training room was filled floor to ceiling with weapons. The east side of the room displayed an impressive selection of swords, throwing knives, and daggers, while the west side of the room contained spears, bows and arrows, and crossbows. One could not possibly name them all. There were approximately twenty young men her age scattered around the space preparing for the daily training session. She knew every single one of those bastards' faces as she laid on stone floors nearly bleeding to death. They used to look so smug, now they stared at her in terror. Carys ignored their attempts to stay away from her as scanned the room for her brother and found him gazing out one of the bay windows that overlooked the lush green fields of the property, the hunters giving him a wide berth as well. With a sigh of relief, Carys took her place by his side.

Cadeyrn offered her a smile and playfully ruffled her loose hair, "I did not think that you would ever rise from your slumber."

Carys slapped his hand away and began plaiting her hair. She became conscious of the many wandering eyes that glanced her way. It was one of the reasons why she hated tying her hair in public. The very action drew too much attention to the most visible indication that she was in fact not a male and should not belong in the castle. Already feeling in a particularly foul mood this morning, Carys made sure to fasten her plait with a navy ribbon in a dramatic fashion. She felt a rush of satisfaction upon receiving many scowls and dirty looks.

Carys returned her attention to Cadeyrn. "Yes, thank you very much for waking me up on time," she snapped sarcastically.

But her scathing accusation fell on deaf ears. Cadeyrn stiffened, his gaze focused on south corner of the room. Ignoring his sister's protests, he gently pushed an alarmed Carys behind him. "I detest the way Naight looks at you, as if you were some slab of meat ready to be devoured," Cadeyrn murmured in her ear, not breaking eye contact with the dark figure. Carys ducked under one of Cadeyrn's arms to catch a glimpse. James caught her gaze and flushed before going back to examining the blades of two sabres.

From the moment Carys met James that night two weeks ago, she found herself puzzled at his pleasant and charming disposition. His speech, attitude, and actions were so unlike the arrogant, cruel pigs she was accustomed to that she wondered if he was under the influence of some sort of drug. But Carys knew better. She recognised a dangerous and volatile man when she saw one. However, all deadliness aside, she did not really know him at all and she absolutely hated the vulnerability of being in the dark. Who is he? Where did he come from? And why has he taken such a fascination in me, she mused. The signs were painfully obvious to her: the furtive glances, the presence of his towering figure wherever she went, hell, even the placement of his horse next to hers in the stables.

"Perhaps he skipped breakfast. I most certainly did," Carys offered unhelpfully. Before Cadeyrn could reply, a note was pressed into his hand by a fleeting figure headed towards the doors. He unfolded the paper and quickly read the contents before lifting his head to signal to Carys that it was time to go, only to realize that Carys was already halfway towards the exit. Cadeyrn quickly caught up to her and matched her brisk strides. "We are to suit up and meet everyone else at the stables in ten minutes," Cadeyrn whispered. Carys nodded and together, the twins raced to their chamber.