The Prince's Mate - chpt. 1 - Infiltration

The Prince's Mate

Chapter One – Infiltration

            "Everyone get down!" a voice bellowed. Instantly the sound of bodies hitting the ground echoed throughout the village. Grunts of pain escaping from those who resisted detainment. I dropped to my stomach, gravel embedding itself in my hands and knees.

            "Stay down!" another deep voice boomed. I looked over to see one of the men in my pack trying to stand, but the warrior—who was clad in silver armor—pushed him back into the dirt.

            We were being invaded by the King's soldiers. Our pack was small, there was only twenty-two of us. We lived in a tiny village in the middle of a forest in Idaho. We had heard rumors of the King's men infiltrating pack lands, but we never imagined it would happen to us.

            "Send forward all of your women!" the first voice cried. I dared looked up and saw that he was easily the biggest man I had encountered in my entire life. He was as wide as two men put together and as tall as a tree. He was dressed head to toe in golden armour, identifying him as the leader of the soldiers.

            "No!" a voice cried. I realised that it came from Mike, he wailed as his mate was sent up towards the Golden Man. I cringed at how heartbroken he sounded, why did they want the women?

            "Don't move," a voice whispered in my ear. I sucked in a quick breath and looked beside me to see my older sister with her face buried in the dirt. She was the only family I had left. Rayne and I didn't have parents; they were killed by the Black Luna pack years ago.

            My father had been destroyed by a man by the name of Daryn Reynolds. My father had been Alpha and the small group of us was all that was left of the Silver Creek pack. A month later my mother died, she couldn't survive long without her mate.

            Rayne had to step up and take care of me, she was five years older than me and was not equipped to be a guardian at fifteen but she had no choice. Now, seven years later we were in danger again. I heard gravel crunching and flattened myself as much as I could against the ground.

            The footsteps stopped and I felt my heart stop with them. Suddenly, my sister cried out in pain. I looked over to see that she had been lifted to her feet by her hair. She had cut all her hair off and now it was in a simple pixie cut that matched her face, so there wasn't much to lift her with.  

            "Didn't I say I wanted all of the women?" The man hissed at her. My sister glared at the man, not saying a word. He threw her at the feet of another soldier and ordered him to take her to the rest.

            The man walked over to me and crouched down, "Sit up." I did as was told; I knew resisting would get me into more trouble. The man growled and I immediately looked up at him, knowing that was what he wanted.

            He looked at my face and suddenly froze. All of the colour drained from his cheeks and his eyes widened. "Jeremy! Jeremy get me the picture!" he screamed. A tall, lanky soldier ran over with a crumpled piece of paper in his hands. He handed it to the golden man and stepped back.

            "What is your name?" the golden man asked.

            "Serena," I whimpered. The man cracked a smile and raised the crumpled piece of paper up to my face. I didn't see what he was looking at as I was too afraid to look.

            "I think we've got her men," he yelled in victory. Instantly, cheers erupted all around and I was hoisted to my feet by two warriors. I was dragged, my bare feet skidded across the ground, I was sure the skin was being destroyed.