The Prince's Mate - chpt. 3 - First Glance

The Prince’s Mate

Chapter three - First Glance

            “May I have this dance?” It took all my strength to move. I turned around slowly and kept my eyes to the ground. All I could see was a pair of black shoes. “Look at me,” he demanded. Slowly, I raised my eyes up to meet his.

            I couldn’t hear the music anymore. The sound of my heart beating blocked everything else out. I couldn’t see the other girls dancing anymore. The only thing I could see were his eyes. I couldn’t feel the ground under my feet. I felt like I was flying.

            It was like time had stood still, the moment our eyes connected everything else faded away. The troubles that had burdened me disappeared. I wasn’t Serena Hope anymore, I was just a girl with a bright smile and a love so strong her whole being radiated with hope.

            And suddenly, I could see everything. I could see our future together. I could see myself wearing his mark. I could see myself pregnant with his child. I could see myself marrying him and us raising a family together. I could see us both sitting on a porch, old and grey watching as our grandchildren played in the yard.

            And then piece by piece it all faded away. Our grandchildren disappeared, our family vanished, I was never pregnant and my skin was unmarked. I couldn’t see a future, I couldn’t see anything.

            I was then standing back in the ballroom, looking at a pair of green eyes. My feet were planted on the ground and my head throbbed. I felt my smiled drop and then a horrible feeling settled into the pit of my stomach.           

            “Mine,” he growled lowly. There was an outburst of applause as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me tightly against him. He growled when people tried to approach us to congratulate us, so they just clapped and stayed at a distance. There was nothing more dangerous than a male wolf right after finding their mate.

            “No,” I whispered. I put my hands on his chest and pushed, but his arms were like iron around me. “No! Let go!” I said a little louder. Some people stopped clapping, and whispers started to take their place.

            “Mine!” He snarled. He nuzzled his face into the crook where my shoulder met my neck.

            “Get off of me!” I screamed. The whole ball room went silent. I could see the golden man’s horrified expression. I was ruining his victory.

            “You. Are. Mine.” The Prince’s green eyes turned an inky black as he stared down at me.

            “No!” I screamed. I took a few steps back and glared at him, “I am not yours!”  The Prince grabbed my wrist and yanked me towards him.

            “You are my mate!” he said harshly.

            I shook my head, tears spilled down my cheeks. “No! No!” I sobbed hysterically. I couldn’t be his mate. I would be stuck here forever! Sudden flashes of Rayne bombarded my vision, what about my sister?

            Hurt crossed his features, then embarrassment and finally anger. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me along behind him. Everyone in the room was staring at us, not sure how to react. I was lead out of the ballroom and through multiple hallways.

            I couldn’t see, my vision was blurred by tears. The only sound I could hear were our footsteps echoing off of the marble floors. We came to a flight of stairs and he yanked me up those. At the end of another hallway were two large doors.