Secrets and Lies - Part 33

I trailed behind Jill, frantically searching the crowd for Tricia and Rob. I needed some backup before Jill got to where Lark and Cal were grinding on the dance floor. I searched the crowd and kept an eye on Jill as well. Rather than charging onto the dance floor, she went to the bar with Tom and bought more drinks. The tension went out of me for a minute as I watched them talking intently. Maybe she wasn't going to tell Cal.

I spotted Tricia near Josh and, not for the first time, I was grateful Josh was so tall. He was usually easy to pick out quickly in a crowd. I pushed through people, trying to get to Tricia before Cal and Lark came off the dance floor.

I grabbed Tricia's arm, and I knew I looked wild with panic.

"What's up Lizziekins?" Josh asked, taking another swig of his beer. Anil, his constant sidekick, was at his shoulder frowning at me. I wasn't sure if Josh and I were friends again yet, though he had apologized for insinuating that I wasn't a good team player. I wasn't sure if the conversation I'd had with the coach in his office would cement his opinion or not.

I stuttered, unable to get my words out. If this went the way I thought it might, we were all going to get thrown out of the bar. "Jill is going to tell Cal that Lark has been cheating on him all semester."

"What?" Tricia screeched and slopped her drink over the side of the cup. "Why?"

"She cornered me about moving our stuff tomorrow, and I had to tell her it wasn't happening. She figures she has nothing to lose now."

Tricia threw up her hands, her drink overflowing everywhere. "Shit!" she yelled at the top of her lungs. "Why?! One night – just one – one last night, that's all I wanted."

"Sorry?" I said. I looked over to see Lark and Cal coming off the dance floor. "I think we should go over there."

Tricia handed Josh her drink and pulled me over to where Jill and Tom were standing at the bar. Just before we got to them, she stopped and looked at me. "Are you sure she's going to tell Lark?"

I hesitated and looked at Jill. She seemed pretty relaxed at the bar, talking and laughing with Tom. Was I sure? No, I wasn't. "That's what she told me, but she hasn't done it yet, so I don't know for sure that she will."

Tricia nodded and pulled me back over to Josh. "We're going to ignore it until it blows up." She grabbed her drink from Josh and chugged it. "I need another drink." She turned back to the bar and let out a sigh. "Act normal, okay? We're going to pretend like everything is fine."

I wasn't sure this was the best strategy, but I didn't have a better one, so I followed Tricia back to the bar. I tried to scan the crowd for Rob, but I still didn't see him. Rachel hadn't come out tonight, though, so at least I didn't have to worry about that. He was Mr. Social, so it wasn't unusual for him to be chatting with people from the floor that I didn't know well.

Tricia adjusted her boobs in her top and clambered up on the bar, holding out her twenty-dollar bill with some authority. I stood beside her and watched as Lark and Cal approached the bar, too. Jill raised her drink to Lark in mock cheers, and Lark glared at her. Uh oh. Jill pushed off the bar and ambled over to where Cal was standing, waiting for Lark to get them drinks.

I poked Tricia and motioned to the scene unfolding. She turned her head and then stepped off the bar with a sigh. She looped her arm with mine, and we walked towards Jill and Cal to overhear Jill saying, "Lark's been having some problems keeping her pants on this semester."

Cal frowned and shook his head at Jill. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"She's been cheating on you, Cal. A lot. All kinds of guys – in bars – at their house – in our dorm room. I really hope you get tested regularly for STDs because your girlfriend has been the school bike – everyone's had a ride." Jill's heart-shaped face seemed to be going for sincere, but her words were brutal. I winced and looked at Tricia who mirrored my expression.