Blue

Marisole found herself staring at the same boat for at least 10 minutes now. It was Saturday morning and she was still under the weather. She listened as the waves harshly crashed against the rocks. They shook the pier and made it sway a little. The tide was very high today, maybe the ocean was angry about something. Some sea foam splashed onto Marisole's face, but she didn't seem to care. This boat caught her eye and she couldn't seem to focus on anything else. It was a sailboat that was painted a light cyan. The sail was pure black and a tiny white dove was plastered on it. A longing desire to get on the boat clawed at Marisole's brain. She found her feet moving inch by inch, getting closer to it.

"Early start?" Yelled a voice.

Marisole snapped out of her daze and turned around to see Ellis. He walked towards her with a warm smile on his face. She smiled back and walked towards him too. They met in the middle and leaned against the railing of the pier, like they always do.

"How are you feeling?" Ellis asked as he watched the waves hit the rocks.

"Still not any better. I'm always cold. Shaking. I've been in bed for the past two days, I figured I'd get some fresh air." Marisole replied.

Ellis looked around for the sun but it wasn't out. "Well, no sunshine, but I'm sure there are plenty of healthy vitamins in sea foam." He laughed.

Marisole gazed up at him in wonder. He has my sense of humor. How did I find him? Why is he here? I'm the most antisocial person in the world. She began to frown at her thoughts. This is a trick.

Ellis felt his heart break as he saw her grimace. She won't find out, He tried to assure himself.

"What do you do for a living, Ellis?"

"That's a random question." Ellis said with a smile. Marisole didn't smile back. She stood still, patiently waiting for an answer.

"This is gonna sound weird..but I'm a fisherman."

"A fisherman?" Marisole asked him with edge in her tone.

"Yeah, I go out and fish and bring what I catch back to the market. Fisherman." Ellis answered, looking down at Marisole, waiting for her reaction. Marisole swallowed, looking at her small hands as they tapped the railing of the pier. She was nervous, sick, and not buying anything that Ellis was telling her. On the days she laid in bed dizzy and half awake, she analyzed everything Ellis has told her. Starting from what he said about Alexander. And how Ellis knew Alexander since they were 13. The only problem with that is Ellis is 6 years older than him. Her mind was battling whether or not to trust Ellis.

"Do you not believe me?"

She didn't answer.

"Marisole."

"Let me fish with you." She said abruptly.

"What?" Ellis asked, taken back.

"If you're a fisherman, I want to accompany you on your next trip. I want to see you get fish." She crossed her arms, insistent on her decision.

"I go out tomorrow."

"What time?"

"7 am."

"Okay. I'll be here."

It was quiet again. Except for the obnoxious wind and the furious ocean taking its anger out on the rocks. The weather was the same dull gray, drizzly, windy it had been for the past two weeks. Nothing has changed and there has been absolutely no sign of sun anywhere. Marisole almost felt herself going mad because things have been the same ever since she met Ellis. She has started to question what is real and what isn't. The only reason she wanted to go fishing with Ellis is to find out more about him. She has no idea where this guy lives, works, or even goes when they separate from each other. And he's a liar, she thought bitterly. What she forgot to realize was that she would be on a boat for a very long time on rickety waters catching fish. It doesn't sound all that bad, right?
Marisole failed to remember that she was prone to motion sickness and was also severely ill.