Black

Marisole's mom worried that she was too unstable to go back to Maine. Marisole assured her what happened the day before was just an accident. Marisole lied to her mom and told her that she just tripped and fell. Her mom was still not convinced.

Marisole had her bags packed and ready to leave. She felt like she was forgetting something. Walking back into her room, she retrieved the stack of papers on the bed. She walked back out and shoved them into her suitcase. She was void of any emotion.

"I love you sweety, you can come back and visit any time you want." Her mom told her, smiling.

Marisole nodded and brought her mom in for a hug. "I would stay, but there is something I need to take care of. I love you too, mom."

And with that, Marisole grabbed the last of her things and walked to the front door. "I'll call you when I reach Maine." She yelled before shutting the door behind her.

~

It has been an hour since Marisole got back to her apartment. She was pacing the lounge floor biting her nails and breathing unevenly. She took deep breaths and thought about the pier in her mind. What used to be a lovely place to escape to, has become a nightmare. She's not ready to face him.

"I've got to do this," Marisole said aloud. She stomped to her room and grabbed the drawings, clutching them under her arm. She made her way to the front door but stopped when she clutched the doorknob. It was cold. For a second, Marisole contemplated just not going. She stepped back. Maybe the more she avoids him, the less she'll see of him. Maybe he'll lose interest and forget about her. But the main question on her mind was, who was he exactly? She had drawings of him from when she was 13 years old. Ellis looks exactly the same as he did in the drawings.

Marisole needed answers. She couldn't just blow this off. She left her apartment and walked down the street towards the pier. She peeked around the corner of the building that was closest to the dock and didn't see anything but the boats at first. She studied the area. It looked the same from when she left it. She stepped out into the open and slowly started towards the pier.

Suddenly, the familiar cyan sailboat rolled up to the dock. Marisole froze, and took a couple of steps back. She was scared, she regretted coming down here, all she wanted to do was curl into a ball and disappear. She wasn't ready to tell him about the drawings. But she had to.

She watched Ellis as he stepped off of the boat and onto the pier. He was drenched head to toe with water and he looked very distraught. He wringed out his clothing the best he could and shook his wet hair furiously. With a sharp turn, he grabbed his fishing tools and began to walk down the pier in Marisole's direction. He looked so lost. Marisole could see the bags under his eyes were darker.

No, I can't do this now, he's upset.

But it was already too late. Ellis spots Marisole in the distance and it's like a fresh new lightbulb was installed. His face brightens and the solemn frown turned into a big smile. He drops his fishing gear and walks down the pier faster. Marisole heard him laugh with glee. She didn't smile because she knew what she had to do. Her heart was hurting.

"Marisole!" Ellis exclaims as he got closer. "Marisole, I know it's only been-" He stops a couple feet away when he sees her grimace. "What's the matter?" He asks gently.

Marisole remained quiet as she took out the stack of paper. Ellis watched her every move with a look of confusion.

"Ellis...I was at my mom's for the past three days," Marisole began, looking at him for a reaction. He nods, urging her to continue, "It was weird being back home, and I honestly wish I had never went back."