2: A SURPRISE INVITATION

One of four Nancy Drew movies from the late 1930s**

**

A LETTER FROM UNCLE NED CONTAINS AN EXCITING SURPRISE!

The old crone's face bore a hostile expression as she stopped in front of the tower and planted her feet firmly in the snow. She made a movement with the rifle indicating that the girls should move on.

"Just skate yourselves right away from here, young ladies. We shall have no visitors here at Spirit Island!"

Louise stared at the woman agape for a moment, then her cheeks began to burn red with indignation. "We skated close to shore to get a look at the castle," she told the woman. "We are not committing any crime."

"Furthermore," added Jean, a scowl on her face and her hands on her hips, "we happen to know that this property belongs to Rutherford Symington, for whom our uncle captains a luxury liner. I'm sure he'd not mind the nieces of a loyal and important employee taking a close look at his property."

The old woman's expression altered slightly, but her beady eyes narrowed as she lowered the rifle so it was no longer aimed directly at the girls. "Then be off with you! You have come as close as the law allows. This island is private property and no trespassing is allowed."

Evelyn, too, had an insulted expression on her face. "We are students at Starhurst School for Girls," she said. "My parents used to socialize with the Symingtons. It is an outrage to be threatened with a firearm when we have done no wrong."

Louise gave Evelyn an encouraging smile, then turned back to the fur-clad crone. "How do we know you have a right to be here? As far as anyone knows, the castle is no longer inhabited. What are you doing here?"

The woman's eyes were like black stones, and they flashed angrily at Louise. She raised the rifle and screeched, "I will not be questioned by nosy trespassers!"

The rifle cracked and a loud report split the peaceful wintry calm as a bullet whizzed over the girls' heads. All three of them cringed as they ducked down, knowing that the shot had been much too close for comfort.

"Go away and don't come back!" the hostile woman shouted.

Evelyn had turned and began to quickly skate away. Needing no further urging, Louise and Jean were soon at her side and the trio sped for shore.

"Goodness! Who is that woman and what is she doing there?" asked Jean breathlessly, tossing a quick look back over her shoulder.

"And what is she hiding?" Louise wanted to know. "I doubt that Mr. Symington has an armed guard protecting his Ice Castle from trespassers."

"Especially an old witch like that," Evelyn agreed. "Just imagine! Being fired upon while ice skating!"

"It's outrageous," put in Jean. "We shall go to the authorities immediately."