Chapter 13

Scarlett drove away and headed into town. She decided she would just mosey around the shops to kill some time. That's what she loved about Charleston, its vast variety of quaint shops. You could get lost for hours. Magnolia's was located in the French Quarter, so she decided to look at some art and visit some local eclectic stores. She always had an eye for things that had a unique element to them.

She found a small parking space that was right in front of a boutique. She grabbed her purse and set out for some shopping. It was busy for a Friday, with lots of people strolling the old cobblestone streets. Scarlett had about an hour before she was to meet Aiden, so she would use it to her advantage.

She entered a store called "Painting for Pancakes," and was thrilled to see a lovely display of local artwork. They were exhibited upon a silver-painted wall, and all were framed in ebony black wood. One that caught her attention, in particular, was an oil painting with shooting stars and a moon painted, blood red, instead of a traditional gray-blue. She leaned in closer to look and noticed three women kneeling upon dark grass around a white circle. Within that circle, a beam of light radiated from it.

It was subtly done, but unmistakably interesting. The shades were muted, without a hint of boldness. It was as if the artist wanted to conceal it, yet daring not to. You couldn't see faces, only the rough profiles of each woman. Scarlett scanned the painting once again, and was fascinated. What did it mean, she asked herself.

"A unique piece," a voice said from behind.

Scarlett turned to see the art curator viewing it as well.

She smiled at him and then inquired. "What exactly is it?"

"Mrs.Jones said the same, hence why she bought it."

He was an older gentleman and stood with his hands clasped behind his back admiring the piece next to Scarlett. She could smell the cologne emanating from him. A little on the strong side, she thought, as she rubbed her nose absently.

"It is from a local artist with some Creole blood in her. She told my client that this paid homage to her ancestors." He nodded at Scarlett and then looked up once again. "Apparently she is from a long line of Voodoo guides."

Scarlett knew by looking at it that he was probably correct. The painting did portray something that was unordinary.

"Do you know what they are doing?" Scarlett asked.

He lifted his brow, lightly shaking his head. "Not certain." Then he pointed at the bottom of the painting. "But the artist titled it "The Gateway."

Scarlett looked over it again, and saw the artist's signature as well as the name.

"Do you know why?" she inquired softly.

He smiled and lifted his hand up to a customer that was entering. "That is unknown to us. However, it would be interesting to find out. Artists are peculiar creatures. If there is anything else that I can help you with just let me know."

He walked away heading toward the patron that was obviously a regular.

Scarlett could tell that there was an eerie element to the piece. She shook it off and walked around the small, but quaint shop, admiring the rest of art that littered the walls. It was just about time to meet Aiden. She glanced at her watch and calculated that she had about ten minutes to blow.

She left empty-handed, however, she'd make a note that she would come here when she was ready to decorate the new homestead. She got in her truck, driving the five miles to the restaurant.

Magnolia's was seated in the heart of Charleston. Among it, were clusters of other shops that she would check out at another date. She was famished. Minutes later, she walked in and was greeted by the hostess.