Chapter 19

The sage was bundled in twine, allowing Scarlett to hold the end comfortably while the tip burned with the sweet smoke. She inhaled it, delighting in the aroma.

"Regina said the sage will purify and cleanse, and the angelica will create a barrier of sorts, and protect."

"When are you going to burn that?" Grace leaned over Scarlett, analyzing the small bag of herbs.

"I'm not going to burn this one. Regina suggested I either bathe in it or sprinkle it around the perimeter of the house."

"Fun," Grace stated sarcastically.

Scarlett began walking around the ballroom with Aiden, while Grace and Dawson followed.

"The sage will do its job. Regina said it will help bring the course of healing."

Aiden piped in. "It's also believed to be powerful medicine used by the Native Americans for centuries." He lifted a shoulder. "To balance and clear out negative energy."

She stopped, letting the smell penetrate her nostrils. "And you know this, how?"

"My mother is Native American. She is of Cherokee decent."

She nodded. "I figured she was." She continued to walk the corners of the room, chanting the prayer that Regina had given her.

"Shouldn't we light some candles or something?" Grace asked, leaning over, taking her heels off.

Scarlett turned and arched her brow, surprised she was doing so. Grace would go to bed with those suckers on.

Grace shrugged. "The sound of my heels on the floor is creeping me out."

Dawson laughed. "I don't think that's what we need to worry about, darlin'."

She'd reached the parlor and couldn't help but pause. This is where she was struck — where the presence of Josephine lurked and assaulted her. Her eyes closed momentarily, attempting to read the room amidst the noise of people who accompanied her.

"You alright?" Aiden placed his hand on her shoulder, noticing the mask of concentration on her face.

"I'm fine. This room just feels heavy." She bit her cheek. "This is where I met her."

She walked around, moving to the corners of the room, quietly uttering the prayer Regina instructed her to, unable to sift through the images that were coming to her.

Grace cleared her throat. "Met who?" She looked to Scarlett then to Aiden.

"Josephine," Aiden said, remembering what Louisa had told him earlier. He walked over to the far end of the room where Scarlett was holding the sage, lifting it toward the peak of the wall. Scarlett finished, progressing to the dining room where there was only an antique cherry table centered in the heart of it. The bare room reminding her that she needed to go shopping.

Everyone, including Aiden, stayed in the doorway, simply observing Scarlett cleanse the room. Aiden watched and couldn't stop the urge of want he felt for this woman, nor could he deny the new feelings that coursed through him. She was a true beauty, he thought.

"Let's get to the bedrooms and be done with this," Scarlett said as she crested the steps. "At least this is one task down."

They all continued upstairs, witnessing each room, each corner, being marked with the sacred herb. No one spoke while she smudged the rooms. Only the sounds of Scarlett's quiet voice and soft footsteps from them were heard.

After the last room was smudged, she turned to see everyone staring at her with eyes the size of saucers, especially Dawson. She smiled, and chuckled softly to herself. "Do I have you spooked, Dawson?" she asked.