twenty

Allie's POV

Another day at the horrible mental institution. Seriously, this is only my second day as a "normal" patient and I already hate it. There's always security cameras or guards or something watching you. It's a bit unsettling.

When you're here, it's almost as if you don't have a voice. You can try to convince people that you're not what they say, but it's no use. You can try to reason with them, but they won't listen. No one sees you as any more than your diagnosis.

Michael and I were in class, in the back of the room like we were yesterday. I had a spare sheet of paper and was doodling random things on it.

"Do you understand what he's talking about?" Michael whispers.

"I'm not even paying attention." I whisper back with a smile.

"Of course you're not." He chuckles and I poke his arm.

After about an hour, which seemed more like 5, class is finally over. As Michael and I are walking towards the lounge room we're stopped by a nurse.

"Dr. Peters would like to see you." She smiles at us.

"Okay, where?" Michael asks.

"I'll show you." She turns around and leads us towards the elevator.

We head up to the 3rd floor and she leads us down multiple hallways until we get to Dr. Peters' office.

"Here you go." She opens the door to let us in. Inside the room is a police officer, Dr. Peters, my mom and Ms. Clifford.

"Mom?" I ask in disbelief.

"Sweetie, are you okay?" She stands up and opens her arms to give me a hug, which I decline.

"Why are you here? Did you finally decide that your only daughter was worth visiting?" I glare at her.

"Honey, I was just scared. I didn't want you with this insane boy and I knew you weren't insane." She smiles.

"Michael isn't insane." I tighten my grip on Michael's hand as if he's going to be taken away from me.

"Yes he is, he's just brainwashing you." My mom tries to convince me.

"Shut up." I roll my eyes then look at Dr. Peters. "Why did you need us? Because if it was only to see my mother then I think we can leave now."

Dr. Peters chuckles and shakes his head. "No we needed to discuss the topic of your diagnosis."

"You mean the fact you think we're insane when we aren't?" Michael scoffs.

He ignores the comment and continues to talk. "Everyone seems to be thinking different things all at the same time. The doctors here, who are professionals, all agree that there is something weird going on with you two but that you are insane nonetheless. All the tests we've done on you two have had signs all pointing to insane. Ms. Robins here, seems to think Michael is insane and Allie isn't. Ms. Clifford is under the impression that the only person in this room that could be insane is me."

Michael raises an eyebrow at his mom and she just shrugs with a smirk.

"Why can't you just believe our story?" I ask Dr. Peters.

"Because it isn't rational. Why would demons be after you two? We have no evidence and it just sounds like a cheesy horror film."

"My life has just been a cheesy, messed up horror film." Michael glares at him. "And you aren't making it any better."

"Well I'm sorry but I really am trying to help. You two have been safe from whatever's been bothering you, whether it's real like you claim or in your head like we believe. So I think it's the best thing to keep you guys here."

But it's so boring here.

We can't do anything with everyone watching so closely.

My eyes go wide. "Shit."

"What's wrong?" Ms. Clifford asks.

I look at Dr. Peters. "What if I told you that the things you claim to be fake are here right now."

"What do you mean?" He looks over at the police in the room who puts one hand on his gun.

I can hear Michael's shaky breath next to me. "They're here. You need to leave."

Too late.

The windows shatter and the lights start to flicker.

"Quick, get out!" I yell at everyone. "Please, before you get hurt!"

The police has his gun out and moving it about the room, looking for anything that could be a threat. Dr. Peters in trying to open the door to get out but it won't budge.

Demonic laughter rattles the room.

"FUCK!" Michael punches the wall. "WE FUCKING TOLD YOU!"

Tears run down my face as we all try to open the door, the lights dimming slowly until it's black, the only light coming from the setting sun outside the window.

Everyone is still and we can hear ragged breaths. They're a scream and a gunshot and I hear a body collapse.

"NO!" I scream, not being able to see who just fell to the ground.

We always come when you least expect it.

We can't stop pretty girl.

We must torture.

"NO! PLEASE LEAVE THEM ALONE!" I scream, running my hands through my hair.

"STOP!" I hear Michael yell.

There's faint grunts and moans of pain on the ground next to me and I feel myself trip over a body. I place my hand over my mouth to muffle a scream as the familiar gruesome faces appear in front of me.

Then, I don't know how they do it, the little sunlight we have disappears, leaving total darkness. I squeeze my eyes shut as an attempt to not see the faces but they find their way into my head, occupying my every thought.

I feel cold hands on my wrist, squeezing and nails running up my arm. Another pair of hands forcefully grab my waist and toss me across the room, slamming me into the wall. My head collides with the ground and I let out a yelp of pain. I feel like I'm going to explode with pure pain.

There's crashes and screams in the room and banging outside the room like people are trying to get in.

Well this was fun.

We have to do it again soon.

The lights flicker back on and there's blood and broken furniture everywhere around the room. I reach up to touch my head and my hand comes back bloody. Bruises are scattered across my arm.

The door bursts open and mix of people gasp. I look up to see what it was. There's someone, lying in a giant pool of blood. Eyes open and glassy, face pale.

They're clearly dead.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel so evil leaving a cliffhanger oh.