One Night With The Fae - Part Eight

- Drake Part Two -

As soon as the two Queens’ bodyguards began their battle, Drake slipped back into the room where the girl was being held. A banshee smiled at him as he passed but didn’t stop him. He wasn’t sure what to make of it.

The girl jumped in fright when he entered the room, her clothes ripped. He wondered what Brathnach had done to her. He was surprised by how annoyed the thought made him, but she seemed physically unharmed.

“You’re back.”

“I told you. We have to leave. Something big is going on. Neither of us wants to be in the middle of it.”

“But how can I go? I can’t even see the door!”

“I’ll figure something out.” Drake tried to work out the magic, but it disappeared before his eyes.

“I can see the door!” she said, relief in her voice.

“Maybe they died,” he said under his breath, not fully understanding why they were able to leave. He dragged the girl through the door, hoping to make it outside before one of the bodyguards killed the other. But the one from the Unseelie Court spotted him, her eyes narrowing in cold anger. He pushed the girl back through the doorway in a hurry.

“What the hell?”

“We were seen; hold on a moment while I think. We must wait, maybe she’ll be the one who dies.”

“And if she doesn’t? If he wins and comes back?”

“Don’t think about it.”

The girl sat on the bed, her face blank.

“I’m going to die.”

“You won’t. Look at me, what’s your name?”

“Cara.”

“Good name. I’m Drake, and I don’t want to die tonight, so I’m going to make sure we both get out of here.”

“Why are you helping me?”

“I… don’t really know.” Lies. He knew exactly why.

“Can I touch your wings?”

He sighed. “Go on then.”

“They’re soft, softer than I expected.”

He enjoyed the light touch of her fingers on his wings and sighed again. Hopeless. He tried to cover his pleasure by speaking harshly to her. “Your fringe is too long. You should cut it.”

For some reason that made her smile, as if she knew exactly what he had been thinking. He had long forgotten how dangerous humans could be. She stared directly at him, and for the first time in many years, he felt truly nervous and awkward.

They sat on the edge of the bed in silence for a few minutes listening to the two warriors battling outside.

“You know, this room is a hovel really,” he said, anything to distract from the violence.

“What are you talking about? It’s the nicest room I’ve ever seen! Look at the cover on the bed.”

“Just rags. Everything you see is an illusion, Cara. That’s why you can’t taste the food or drink; you don’t really know what it is.”

“What about you? Are you an illusion? Are you even helping me?”

He was spared from answering her by a banshee’s wail outside.

“Something’s happening out there. Come on, let’s go. We have to hurry, while they’re all distracted.”

He made his way out first, and then motioned for her to follow. Drake’s heart raced wildly. He had no idea if he would be able to pull this off. The Unseelie guard could be waiting outside for him. It took a couple of deep breaths before he had the guts to go all the way through the doorway. The smell of blood and death hit him straight away. He saw the Seelie Queen die and heard Brathnach’s mournful howl. Wyla’s body lay on the ground, her head nowhere to be seen. It was the perfect moment to escape. Everyone’s attention was elsewhere. Drake grabbed Cara’s hand and ran for his life, pulling her along after him.

He couldn’t believe his luck when he realised that Brathnach wasn’t behind him. Better yet, Cara’s entrance was revealed from under its cover. The good luck didn’t last long. Too soon, Brathnach’s eyes spied them, and in his vengeful state he came after their blood. Drake didn’t have time to worry or even feel scared. Cara was lagging, almost within Brathnach’s reach. Drake stopped and threw her forward and up the first couple of steps.

“Move!” he shouted when she hesitated. She ran. He tried to follow, but Brathnach’s grip reached the back of his neck. In his mind, he urged the human to keep running. Never stop. Never come back.