1. Sergeant

Sergeant Steve R. Nichols is nervous. 

 He isn't, usually. In fact, the last time anyone saw him like this was when the Pittsburgh Steelers were temporarily losing the Superbowl back in 2009. Or when his last girlfriend told him she loved him. Or when he thought that his.... You know what? Never mind. This is becoming quite extraneous. In life and in death there is honesty, there is avoidance, and there are lies. I intend to point fairly to what is obvious and what is true. 

 But, you see, I'm off-topic. So. Take two.

 Sergeant Steve R. Nichols is nervous, most likely because this is the first time a murder has taken place within the confines of his surrounding county. Or at least, the first time while under his control. And this makes him uncomfortable for many reasons, but the most obvious is because today begin the interviews, nay, the investigation. Today, they will start on their perilous journey to solving the crime. 

 This, to some police sergeants, would be reassuring. Not to Steve R. Nichols. He has always (and primarily) been a people pleaser, and death, in any way, shape, or form, is not considered such. At least, not usually. But solving crimes... Well that most cetainly is. And our good sergeant needs more than anything to give the people what they want. 

 He is afraid of failing them. But this quest is not as pure and honest as you might like to believe, oh no. Sergeant Steve R. Nichols is afraid, and this fear is a by-product of an enormous ego, of disappointing himself, and failing to meet any expectations that may have arisen. He is far too pompous to have it any other way. And, like most little boys, he loves to play hero.

 Sergeant Steve R. Nichols straightens his tie and walks out of his office, unsure if he is capable of rising to the occasion.