Chapter 5: Slap Happy

Chapter 5

Slap Happy

Reed Fields clucked his tongue. Twice. "Suzette Kimberly." He slammed a fist against the back of Peter's chair. 

Immediately, Peter stood. "I can't believe you just did that."

Reed scrunched up his face. "What? You can't believe I just hit the back of your chair?"

Peter waved his hand around, causing a slight breeze to ruffle his crazy hair. "No, not that. Why'd you give that chick the address?" Reed spied Louie and Smith behind Peter, shaking their heads in unison. 

"Guys, she wasn't going to quit." Reed defended himself, though he knew it was coming across as weak

Louie shot up from his seat, stepping forward. "We're as good as dead."

Reed was now breathing heavily through his nose. "What are you talking about?"

"You know what he means." Smith chimed in, blowing red hair out of his eyes. "After she sees what goes down, she will rat us out."

"Maybe I was just thinking on my feet, okay?" Reed was ready to throw a chair at someone's face. He had always had a terrible temper. Usually, it came in handy. Just not on weekdays.

Louie was getting heated too. "No, you weren't just thinking on your feet, Fields. You were being stupid." 

Reed released, shooting a pumping fist into the air. "I know you can call me worse than that." 

Louie was preparing a fist too, his face growing red. "Fine. You want worse? You're a shit head. Reed Fields, you're a full blown shit head!"

Reed knew deep down that Louie had spit out more scarring names than shit head, but he was too angry to care. Swiftly, he angled his right hand fist, veins popping. He drew a mental line from his finger tips Don't put all the power in the beginning. He instructed himself. Make a clean follow through. It only took seconds for Reed to plan it, but to him it always felt like hours. The time paid off, though, and Reed knew it would. He moved his hand, slow at first, then picking up speed. Boom. Impact. Louie groaned and leaned so far to the left Reed thought he'd snap in half. But he didn't snap in half. No, all Louie did was fall to the floor. Reed felt a surge of sweet victory and took a step back, resisting the urge to fist pump. 

"Seriously, Louie? Have you learned nothing?" Peter reached down to help the fallen friend up. "Never start a fight with Reed."

Louie rolled his eyes and dabbed away the noticeable splotches of blood forming at the corners of his saliva drenched mouth. "I know, I know." He mumbled. "Sorry master." He bowed in front of Reed sarcastically. 

Reed chuckled and patted Louie on the head. "So are we good now?"

Louie shrugged. "We'll see on Saturday."

"Yeah," Reed sighed. His victorious attitude turning sour at the thought. "I guess we will." He glanced around him at his friend's awaiting faces. "Alright guys, meeting adjourned." He pretended to beat a gavel. Peter, Smith and even Louie let out a little laugh at Reed's action.

"Where are you parked?" Smith asked Reed.

"Out back." Reed answered, jiggling his keys in his pocket.

Peter pursed his lips and nodded. "Ah. We're all parked in front. Guess we'll see you tomorrow?"

Reed moved over to the door, opening it wide for the boys. "Yeah, see you then."

The guys left, waving their last goodbyes, and Reed made way down the dingy back staircase. The light bulbs flickered suspiciously above him and the stained green walls and creaky steps did not fail at both disgusting him and making him uncomfortable, but he reached the steel door in record time. He swung the door out, letting the night air bite him. He winced as it hit the scabs on the sides of his face. They still felt fresh and must look it too. He wondered how Suzette had managed to not comment on them.

Suzette. He saw a flash of her hair, the color of warm caramel, out of the corner of his icy eye. He craned his neck and their eyes met. She was climbing into a small car, the passenger side to be exact. Her friend must had been driving. It felt like he had hit pause on a movie. She was perfectly still, her dark eyes boring into his blue ones. She didn't smile, and neither did he. But there was something about the cool glances they exchanged that made Reed feel nothing but warmth. It was an emotion he'd never felt before. It was foreign, so he broke the moment, he pulled his eyes away. He looked into the distance and heard the car door slam. He waited until he heard the car engine roar to life and pull away, and then he felt safe. He fished out his keys and walked in the direction of his beat up Chevy truck. 

As he slid his key into the awaiting lock, he smiled. Suzette Kimberly. He had a feeling there was no getting rid of her.