Chapter 10: Guess Who's Coming To Fight Club

Chapter 10

Guess Who's Coming To Fight Club

The cheers of the crowd pounded in his ears. Blood rushed through his head. His hands were in fists at his sides. "T-minus two minutes." He whispered to himself. 

"Reed!" Catty Blue appeared in the doorway, the pits of his shirt lined with greasy sweat. Reed nodded to his boss and took a seat on the sand papered bench of the locker room. Catty moved closer and knocked his knuckles on one of the sets of bright green metal lockers, paint peeling off of them at every angle. "Listen, I didn't want to put pressure on you, but,"

Reed focused on the cracked tile below him. "How much is it?" He knew the routine.

"This may sound like a joke," Catty began. "But it's far from it. Some hot shot out there bet 800 bucks!"

Reed whistled through his teeth. "That's no pressure at all." He commented sarcastically.

Catty chuckled and pat his star roughly on the back. "I knew you'd understand, kid. We really need the money."

Reed knew what he really meant. Catty needed the money. To buy more booze for himself and costume jewelry for Harmony. 

Catty moved over to the doorway and stuck his head out. "Huh. I wonder who that is with Harmony."

Curious, Reed stood up. He set his eyes in the direction of Catty's and found Harmony in no time. She wasn't hard to miss. Standing next to her was a very familiar head of caramel colored hair. "Damn it." Reed didn't think that Suzette would actually come. 

"You know her?" Catty asked, reaching into his pocket for a fresh toothpick. 

"I go to school with her." Reed answered flatly.

Catty cocked an eyebrow. "You really expect me to believe you two are just classmates? There's nothing else going on there?"

Reed was in the midst of cracking his neck, but he answered quickly. "We're just classmates, that's it. She must've found out about this place somehow."

"I have a feeling you were that 'somehow'. I can tell from here she doesn't belong on this side of town." Catty looked out at her again. 

"So what if I was?" Reed challenged.

Catty shrugged. "Whatever, kid. You're on when I call you." Catty stepped out of the locker room and into the light. He climbed up onto the mat and sucked in a large breath before speaking into the microphone. "In the right corner, we've got the local Catty Blue fight club champion, Reed!" 

Reed tried to shake Suzette out of his thoughts. There was no time for thinking. It was time to fight.