s e v e n t e e n: ✔

Seventeen:

The next day started out normal enough.

I moved past the rushing students, skipping through the crowded hallways to my upcoming Algebra class.

I reached the classroom just in time for the first period bell to ring.

I made my way inside, a few people turning their heads in my direction so as to check whether my presence was worth acknowledging or not. Making their decision, they turned back to their chit chats after merely a couple of seconds.

I dumped my stuff onto the desk and plopped down on my usual seat by the window. I rolled my pencil absent-mindedly across the flat surface of the desk, waiting for the teacher to arrive.

"Good morning," Mr. Geller announced, making his entrance with a tone that emitted more excitement than usual. That either meant a surprise test paper, or a more likely new boring lesson.

"Today we're starting a new lesson," he announced matter-of-factly, pressing his glasses up on his nose with the tip of his finger. Well that was wildly unexpected. "Please open your books to page seventy four, and there you can find -"

His words bounced off of my ears. From that point on, his mouth moved uncontrollably, but no word cared to sound into my ears.

The only thing I heard was the faint noise of my phone buzzing into my jacket pocket.

I unzipped the pocket and fished my phone out, glancing at Mr. Geller as I did so. He was too caught up into his own sentences to notice me.

I propped my hands on my thighs and placed my phone between my fingers.

I opened my notifications bar. An unread text popped up.

Michael: you're in class now?

I typed back an answer.

Me: no, I bribed the teacher into letting me go home.

His reply came faster than I expected.

Michael: you seem to be speaking sarcasm fluently. Tell me, how do you say fuck you?

Me: haha :p
So, why are you texting me?

I raised my gaze back at the teacher, just in case. His back was turned on the board as he filled it with different equations.

Buzz. Buzz.

I dropped my eyes back to my phone.

Michael: same reason for why I texted you yesterday. Except that now you remembered to reply :p

I blinked. I completely forgot about Michael's text the other day. He'd asked me if I was feeling okay after the accident, and I never responded.

Sure, I was still a little bit mad at him (and even madder at Marie Elizabeth - no reason for that) but even so, I was not one to ignore people's texts.

Me: sorry, I forgot.

His reply ceased to be coming.

I flicked my phone off and placed it on my desk. I took my pencil and copied Mr. Gelller's equations from the board as he talked about some theories which made no sense to me.

Paying attention to classes had recently become my worst enemy.

Buzz. Buzz.

My phone's screen lit up with a new text.