III. Chad is Breaking

It was the first time after all those years of being in Megan’s shadow that Chad finally felt like he was losing hope. She would never say yes to him whatever he asked her. If he bought her drinks, she would look offended. When he invited her to the movies, she would go ballistic telling him to just stop. He couldn’t understand it. All he wanted was a yes. One word. Three letters. What was so hard with that?

So now he would leave her alone—at least for a while. He would give her time. He decided that maybe two days of ignoring her wouldn’t be so bad. Of course, though, one day was already killing him. Him not sitting with her at lunchtime felt to Chad like someone was squeezing his heart. But he had to try another tactic. Maybe this was it. If he didn’t show up for her in a while, there might be a chance that she would realize how much she couldn’t live without him and that she missed him.

Fat chance, baby, he remembered Toby telling him one day when he told him that he would do everything to get Megan to agree to go out on a date with him. Well, he didn’t care even how much fat or thin his chances were. He would do everything to hear a yes from her, especially now. And as fate had it, Valentine’s Day was fast approaching. It would be the perfect opportunity for him. But of course, he had to take care of the matter with his older brother first, like the way he did before.

***

After the first week of school, Chad felt like he was having a culture shock. He decided that high school wasn’t for him so he asked Duke for help who was still in high school by then. Duke was a junior while he was as fresh as a freshman could get.

“What do you mean?” Duke asked in between gulps of his coke. They were in the kitchen taking a cool afternoon off.

“I can’t do it,” he declared. “There are too many unfamiliar faces. I hate high school.”

“Are you freaking kidding me?” Duke gave him a look like he couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “Of course everyone loves high school.”

“Not me,” he insisted.

“Oh, come on. Don’t tell me I have a freak of a brother.” Duke tossed the empty can of coke into the trashcan and walked across to where his younger brother was sitting sipping juice.

He felt like he was going to cry. “I’m not a freak. Freaks don’t have friends. I have Megan.” The minute he said it, he knew that he had said the wrong thing.

Duke was blatant about it with Chad. He liked Megan. Even how twisted it was to Chad’s young mind, Duke would always insist that one day Megan would be his girlfriend.

“Forget it, bro. Megan is mine.”

“But you are older than her! That’s not going to happen!” He started wailing, standing up from his chair, and flailing his arms in the air—like a child.

“Megan will never like you the way she might like me, bro.” Duke was laughing at him. “You’re a freak.” He wouldn’t stop laughing.

And then, Duke left, leaving Chad in between sobs and stomping his feet. It was the same day he started collecting rubber bands. Frustrated, he started banging objects in the kitchen. He came up with a rubber band that he kept stretching to the point of breakage. It had been his way of controlling his anger.

***

Now Duke was studying at the nearest college. He didn’t want to stray too far from home, saying that he would only miss everybody if he did. He didn’t like to live in a dorm or cook his own food, and he didn’t like having a roommate. Of course. But Chad knew what was the truth. Duke didn’t want to leave him. Duke didn’t want to miss his younger brother’s epic high school life.