friends

mae

i sat on the park bench, swaying my feet back and forth as i covered myself with an oversized sweater; it was jungkook's sweater. i had bought for him as a birthday gift. i sighed and lowered my gaze.

,,hello?"

i looked up to be met with a pair of brown eyes hooded behind a fringe of brown hair. we stared at each other before he cleared his throat, bouncing on his heels. ,,are you alright?"

i sniffled and wiped at my eyes, nodding before chuckling pathetically. ,,u-uh, yeah. thanks for asking." he nodded slowly and kept his gaze set on me.

,,you don't seem alright." he queried, moving toward me. i held up my hand to make him stop, successfully doing so. he sighed and tilted his head.
,,i may be a stranger, but you look like you need to talk to someone." i shook my head, looking down at my pale hands that rested in my lap.

,,i'm okay." he scoffed and sat beside me.

,,don't fake being okay, you only hurt yourself." he crossed his arms and smiled softly, looking over at me. ,,i mean, if you're gonna act like you're fine, at least make it seem like you are. 'cause, for you to feel this sad you must have once felt happy."

i nodded, bringing the back of my hand to wipe my reddened nose. i glanced at him, noticing him staring at the playground in front of us. ,,care to explain why a dismal girl like you is siting out here alone on a chilly wednesday morning, compelling her heart out 'quietly?'"

i tutted and looked up, licking my dry lips as i shrugged. ,,i, i lost an 'acquaintance' a f-few.." i started, not being able to stop the stutter in time.

he sighed and turned his body toward me, opening his sleeve covered arms up for me. i looked at him, my mouth slightly parted a i stared into his eyes.

he nodded and motioned me.  i swallowed hard and instantaneously wrapped my arms around his body, though he was a complete stranger toward me.

i just needed someone to hold onto for awhile until i was actually 'okay.'

my cheeks and eyes became even puffier as i muffled my screams into his chest. i groaned, soaking his shirt with my tears.

He shushed me and ran his hand up and down my back. i closed my eyes and calmed my breathing as the hiccups already came.

,,i didn't mean for things to end like this.." i subconsciously voiced out, wiping away the tears on the left side of my face as the other side was squished against the mans chest.

he pulled away from me and stared at me. he placed his hands on my cheeks and wiped away the rest of the tears on my face with his thumbs. ,,don't cry, someone as beautiful as you doesn't deserve to cry." i sniffled and nodded my head. i placed my hand on his and sighed.

i looked up into his light brown orbs, trying to mask the reality of things. i lowered my head in defeat and brought my trembling hand down from his, chuckling.

,,funny, that's exactly what my 'acquaintance' said to me.

he pulled his arms around my waist, knowing that i'll shed more tears, and i ended up doing exactly that. ,,and i believed him." i clenched my teeth as i gripped onto the sleeve of his shirt. i placed my head against his chest and pulled myself closer to him.

i swallowed hard and gasped, shaking, trying to steady my breathing. but nothing was working. nothing seemed to stop me from crying.

his chest heaved up and down. ,,i know this isn't a good time to say this, but i'm taehyung, kim taehyung."

i ended up laughing, something i haven't done in a while where it almost made me think i didn't know how to laugh anymore. i pulled myself away from taehyung to look up at him.

he had a box like smile on his lips, weird, but the good kind of weird. ,,and i believe this is the part where you introduce yourself to me as well?"

i found myself cracking a smile at this odd human who seemed to turn your sadness into something better.

,,i'm mae, choi mae." he smiled and nodded.

,,pretty name, mae." i whispered a 'yeah' before looking over at the playground in front of us. ,,let's be friends, you seem like you could use one, mae." he gazed at the side of my face, waiting for my answer.

i hummed in response, never looking away from the playground set.

he turned his head in the direction i was staring into, placing his hands on the bench as i did. i shifted my gaze down to the sneakers on my shoes.

smiling softly.

,,i guess i do, taehyung."