Chapter Eleven: The Sound of the Beast

(Picture above of Kit)

(C)Copyright SJCLewis 2017

With a little awkward cough, Bash took a seat at the breakfast bar and began twirling his pasta around his fork with careful attention. Darcie remained pressed against the wall where he'd left her, clutching her hands to her chest and surveying him wearily. She watched him chew in silence for a moment or two before he cleared his throat and shifted uncomfortably in his chair. Finally glancing up, he took in her rigid, half terrified - half bemused expression and sighed.

"That's for you to eat." he murmured rather stiffly, nodding his head towards the bowl he'd placed across from her before taking a swig of his drink. "It's carbonara."

Darcie narrowed her eyes at him and shook her head. "I know what it is." she replied shakily, folding her arms across her chest and titling her chin at him. "And I'm not hungry. Thanks."

Bash fixed her with an unfathomable look as Darcie's stomach chose that moment to let out an almighty growl.

"Sure you aren't!" he rumbled drily, taking a swig of his beer. "C'mon. Eat. Or do I have to sit here and babysit you until you do?"

Darcie shot him a sardonic smile, anger and indignance sparking at his words. "I'd really rather not!" she replied, as snidely as she could. "I'm afraid you might have drugged it."

Bash's expression hardened and he exhaled heavily, as if fighting for patience. "Fine." he replied at length, in a tone which suggested that he was anything but. "Have it your way. Can we just talk for a bit, then? I know this is all very unpleasant for you..."

Darcie snorted

"...but we really do have a lot more to discuss."

His voice was very cool and even, though somehow Darcie could tell he was uncomfortable. She watched him eat for a few moments, pushing the pasta around his plate, before the silence seemed to stretch too long and Bash looked up at her again. He swallowed heavily and quirked his brow.

"Is that ok?" he pressed, in that same, quiet tone, and Darcie bristled, irritated. "We just need to lay out what's going to happen next..."

Darcie glowered at him.

"You know I don't want to talk to you." she snapped, folding her arms and hunching her shoulders defensively. "But I suppose I can't stop you - so go ahead. Talk. I can't promise I'll listen!"

Bash was silent for a moment. Darcie half expected him to raise his voice at her, but at length, he set down his fork and sighed resignedly.

"Fine." he began, rather too calmly Darcie thought. "That's fine. We can talk tomorrow, then. And in that case - I'm going to out in a bit for a few hours to see some friends. I assume you don't want to come? You're welcome of course, but I'm not going to force you if you want to be on your own."

Darcie gave him a filthy look.

"No? I didn't think so. " Bash reclined in his seat and rubbed his chin, surveying her thoughtfully. "Well we need to go over a few things first then..."

Darcie winced as her stomach rumbled loudly again. Bash snorted.

"You can at least sit down." he sighed, gesturing to the chair across from him and raising an eyebrow at her. "I won't bite..!"

Darcie paled at his words and shook her head a little too forcefully.

"I'm fine over here!" she snapped, her voice rather high. "Thanks."

Bash fixed her with a knowing look and she bristled again. Clutching her hands to her chest, she forced herself to meet his eyes in an act of defiance. She was still unable to fully process what had just happened. It was impossible her hand could have healed so quickly and yet, she had witnessed the flesh knitting together again at Bash's touch. Swallowing back the nausea, she held out the formally wounded hand and examined it, covertly, as Bash drained the last of his beer. It was smeared with dirt and streaks of crusted blood but the angry gash across the palm had definitely disappeared. She shuddered.