Chapter Seven

The confidence that Parker held previously seemed to diminish the second that he and Deon entered the forest. The flashlights held in their hands provided some guidance, but in the dark of midnight everything seemed to look the same. That look was trees and darkness.

Parker walked the way that he remembered walking that afternoon and tried to focus on each step, and on the illuminated path he was following and not the creepiness of his surroundings. There were deep sounds that seemed to be radiating through the forest, and he couldn't tell which direction they were coming from. The low sound of owls and birds were high above his head and he looked up, disregarding the fact that he would never be able to see that high up in only moonlight and a cheap torch. Seeing as his face was upturned, he didn't realise the root sticking up from the ground, and tripped straight over it, the only thing keeping his face from the ground was Deon's hand which shot out and clasped his arm, pulling him upright.

'Watch where you're going Parker' Deon said, letting go of his arm as soon as he was sure Parker was stable on his own feet.

'Thank-you' Parker mumbled, rubbing his arm where Deon's harsh grip was sure to leave a mark, but hey, better a sore arm than a broken face.

Parker started walking again, but a hand jumped out and hit his back lightly, getting his attention.

'You're going the wrong way' Deon laughed, causing his friend to huff and continue in the other direction.

Deon seemed to have a better idea where he was going, so Parker stayed a few steps behind him, following him. A small part of Parker wished that he could grab his hand or the edge of his t-shirt, just for some reassurance but figured that Deon would probable just tell him he was being a baby. Therefore Parker kept his brave face on and walked tall, not thinking about the darkness that seemed to surround him and the eerie echoes that seemed to be coming from any and all directions.

Deon seemed unfazed by his surroundings, with a determined pace and an ease that Parker wished he could harbour himself. Suddenly it got quiet. The birds in the trees seemed to stop their chirping and the echoes subsided.

Parker was about to comment on that when he realised that his flashlight had stopped working, the only light coming from Deon's flashlight. Parker stopped and hit his flashlight against the palm of his hand a few times, letting out a shaky breath when the light returned to the object.

Looking up, Parker had expected to see Deon, but all he was faced with was more darkness and trees. Laying in the ground a few feet away was Deon flashlight, the leaves around it stopping the light from spreading.

'Deon?' Parker called out cautiously, trying not to let the fear he felt drip into his voice.

Parker picked up the discarded flashlight of Deon's and held it in his free hand.

'Deon?' He called out again, looking around himself, trying to make out any shapes or figures in the darkness but coming up with nothing.

Parker felt the real fear then, he was alone in a forest he didn't know, and his friend was gone. Fear for himself was only triumphed by fear for his friend, who must have been somewhere close by.

'DEON?' he called out, continuing to wave his flashlight around him, hoping that his friend would suddenly be there.

Parker decided that Deon must have just walked ahead, that he must have been heading to the lake. He had only taken a few steps when he heard the noise, a loud thumping sound, causing him to look around himself, trying to find its source.

'D-Deon?' he called out, but the word had come out as nothing but a hoarse whisper.

Suddenly hands reached out and pulled Parker backwards, causing the man to scream as he was flung backwards.

My Psychotic Ex-BoyfriendOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara