Chapter Two - Mops

“I'm, uh, Ryan,” I say, taking the Fritos from his hand. “Do you understand how much trouble you could get in? You just broke the school vending machine!” I stare at Brendon, and his delicate features. He pushes his magenta glasses with his finger, and shrugs.

“You wanted chips. I just--” He is cut off mid-sentence when Brent and Spencer walk over.

“Are you okay? Is this loser bothering you?” Brent snickers.

Brendon looks at me with pleading eyes. “N-no, he was just getting me a bag of Fritos, b-because the machine was not working,” I stutter, staring at Brent.

“Brent, leave him alone, he was just helping Ry.” Spencer looks at Brendon, then at Brent, then at me. “I don't think he meant harm at all.”

Brent rolls his eyes, and pushes Brendon into the machine. I watch as the blood seeps through Brendon's hand, and as the hatred in his eyes intensifies. “Don't come anywhere near Ryan again, or you will be extremely sorry.” Brent drags Spencer and me back to the table.

~

As I head to my next class, I walk with Spencer. “Spence, he didn't have to hurt Brendon that badly. He really was only trying to get a bag of chips for me!”

Spencer glares at me. “We just want to make sure that you don't get bad again.” He hugs me, but I push him off.

“I don't need bodyguards! I can handle myself, did you know that? I'm not a child!” I storm away to Chemistry.

I walk through the door, and see Brendon sitting on the fourth seat to the left. How did I not realize that he was in my Chemistry class? I sigh, and sit next to him. “Brendon---” Before I can finish, he gets up, and switches to a seat in the back of the classroom. I try to forget that he is in my class, and listen to the teacher, Mr. Way.

“Today, students, we will be performing a lab, which will be followed by an essay. Please pair up. Actually, since we all know that letting you guys pick your own groups is a disaster, I will pair you up.” Mr. Way clears his throat. “Okay. Vic with Mike,” I see two boys get up and walk to a lab table. “Hayley and Jeremy,” A girl and a boy walk to a table beside Vic and Mike. “Frank with Mikey,” I let Mr. Way read the rest of the names, until I hear mine. “Ah, Ryan Ross. I will pair you up with Brendon Urie, over there.” He points to Brendon, who hides his face behind a book. “Brendon, please walk to a lab table.”

“Okay, class. First, I want you to---” As the teacher keep reading directions, I am too busy thinking about what to say to Brendon. I'm sorry, Brent is a piece of crap who hangs out with us because he has no other friends. I really hate Brent. I want to hate Spencer right now, but I can't, remembering how good of a friend he is.

“Brendon, I--” Brendon looks through me, almost as if he is not listening.

“Why don't we try putting some of--” He picks up a blue test tube. “How about some of this?”

“I need to talk to you!” I glare at Brendon.

“I think that we should actually put the red stuff in, not the blue.” He ignores me, again.

“Brendon!” I accidentally knock the blue test tube onto the ground, and it shatters into pieces. Brendon backs away, and Mr. Way walks towards us.

“What is this?” Mr. Way stares at the broken test tube. “Who did this?”

“U-uh, I, um, I--” I'm stuttering again, and wish I could get one sentence out without looking like an idiot.

“It's my fault, Mr. Way. I was going to put the red tube back, but accidentally knocked over the blue one with my elbow. I didn't mean to break anything.”