Chapter Three: Drawers

“How is he?” I pace back and forth on the top floor of the hospital's emergency room. “Is he going to be okay?”

“He's going to be fine, honey.” A nearby nurse checks her clipboard. “Just a few bruises. You know, it was very smart of you to bring him here.”

“I just want to make sure that he's okay. Can I see him?”

The nurse checks her clipboard again. “Looks like only family right now, but I'll check. Stay here.” She leaves, leaving the clipboard on the desk.

I wait until she is out of sight, and pick up the clipboard.

Brendon Urie: Age 17

Injuries: Broken wrist, sprained ankle

Minor Injuries: Bruises on stomach, face, and back.

For some reason, I place the clipboard back on the counter. Why would Brent hurt Brendon? Why would anybody hurt Brendon? Why would Brent hurt anybody? Well, I kind of know the answer to that last question, because Brent is...the kind of person that would hurt someone. I sigh, and scratch the back of my neck. The nurse walks back in, and faces me.

“It's only supposed to be family, but he says that he wants to see you. Follow me.”

I follow the nurse into a hospital room. It smells like flowers and old window cleaner. The walls are light grey, with purple tiles on the floor. There is only one window with a view of the closest Burger King, and one dresser with a bag with food from the closest Burger King.

“Brendon?” I say, watching the nurse walk back to her desk. “Are you awake?”

“Yes.”

“Do you remember anything?”

Brendon turns over, facing me. He sits up, slowly. “I remember everything, Ryan.”

“Oh.”

“Thank you, Ryan.”

“Why?”

“You brought me to the hospital, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Thank you.”

“Don't thank me. We're even now, I guess.”

“What?”

“You took the blame for my stupid stunt in Chemistry, and I brought you to the hospital.”

“Come on, you saved my life. I was just being a human.”

“So was I.” I sigh, staring into Brendon's dark brown eyes.

“Anyway, the doctors said that I will be able to come home tomorrow.”

“How bad are the injuries? When I took you here, they looked pretty bad.”

“I have a broken wrist, a few bruises, and a sprained ankle. But that's it, thankfully. Unfortunately, I don't know what Brent will do next time.”

I cough, taken by surprise. “Next time?

“Ryan, I've been beat up before, and it's never just one time.”

“But...”

“You're friends with Brent, I shouldn't really--”

“I'm not really friends with him, he just needs somewhere to sit. Also, Spencer is friends with him.”

“Oh. Is Spencer a good friend?”

“He's an amazing friend. We've been friends since second grade, and he's helped with everything. A few years ago, I was really low. He helped me keep it together.”

“It must be nice to have a friend like that.”

I stare at my feet, and then at Brendon. “Yeah, I guess.”

“What a lovely view from my window, no?”

I laugh. “Certainly.”

Brendon opens one of the drawers in the dresser next to his hospital bed, and pulls out a pad of paper, and a pencil. “Ryan?”

“Yeah?”

“If I write down one or two things, could you go to my house and get them for me?”

“Sure.”

I watch Brendon write a small list on the piece of paper. “Thanks.” He hands me the paper.

1. computer (in second desk drawer)

2. charger for computer (also in second desk drawer)

3. box of cheez-its (in pantry)

“You sure do have your priorities sorted out.” I chuckle, shoving the list in my pocket.

“I'm the fourth house on McKinley. Thank you so much.”

“No problem.” I walk out of the room, slowly.

“Wait, Ryan?”

“Yes?” I turn around.

“You're a really good friend.”

“You are too, Brendon.”

~

I knock on the door of the fourth house of McKinley. A little girl answers, and she looks a lot like Brendon. I assume this is Brendon's sister, and smile. “Hi, are you Brendon's sister?” I look at her matching brown eyes.

“Yes! Are you Brenny's friend?”

“Uh, yeah, I think so.”

“Awesome! I love Brenny's friends!”

“Oh, I'm just here to pick up some stuff for him.”

“In his room?”

“Yeah.”

“Follow me!” She walks into a room, with blue walls and grey carpets.

“Thanks.”

“No problem! Tell Brenny to feel better!”

“I will.” I start to look for a desk, and she walks out.

I see a little wood desk, with two drawers. Second drawer, is what it said on the list. I open the drawer, and find a Dell laptop and a charger. Picking them up, I then place them on the bed. Curiously, I open the first drawer, and I almost fall over.

A collection of threats and notes line the inside of Brendon's drawer. They are all signed by the same person, somebody named Noah.

I open Brendon's laptop, and look at his email. Stop, Ryan. It's none of your business. Various death threats are on the screen, also from Noah.

Who is Noah?