Chapter Two

It wasn’t exactly every day that Sophie saw an alarmingly gorgeous guy hiding out in the aisles of her father’s store.  Honestly, it wasn’t every day she saw an alarmingly gorgeous guy anywhere except within the confines of her imagination—prompted by her love of books. 

This boy could have come directly from the pages of one. He stood a few inches taller than her with sandy brown hair that looked windblown and favored one side. His eyes were hazel and kind— a welcome change from Taylor’s angry glare. He wore jeans and a black hooded sweatshirt and as she worked her way down, she noticed a skateboard clutched in his hand. She loved her books but there was something to be said for reality. 

She gulped, her throat dry.  “Do you mind telling me why I just lied to a girl who had fire in her eyes? What did you do to tick Hades off?” 

The guy set the board down and held both hands up, palms forward. He chuckled revealing a dimple. “I did nothing. I don’t even know her although I do appreciate the God of the underworld reference, truly a fantastic touch.”  

She raised a skeptical brow. “You don’t know her and she was chasing you?”

“Yep. Pretty much.” 

He did look vaguely familiar and he was definitely hot enough to be famous. “Are you a celebrity or something?” Anywhere else in the world, the question may be absurd, but not here, an hour or so outside of Hollywood. 

“Yes.” He paused and then quickly changed his mind. “No.” 

“Well which is it, yes or no?” 

“Sort of, I guess.” 

“I know exactly who he is,” Taylor offered from behind. “That’s Keaton Stromberg.” 

He gave a sly smile that suggested her sister was right. 

Sophie stepped to the side so she could look at the mystery guy and Taylor at the same time. “Who?” 

“Keaton Stromberg,” Taylor said again. “I swear Sophia, you live under a rock. If you ever bothered to unglue your face from the book and leave literary la-la land for even a fraction of a second to watch TV, you’d know.” 

Sophie turned to him, “Is your name is Keaton?” 

He nodded. “Thanks for your help. That tends to get out of control sometimes.” 

“What does?” Taylor asked. 

“Girls are crazy,” Sophie said simply. “I think Keaton had a stalker. Stalkers. Plural. There was an entire group of them, little noses pushed to the window, hoping to catch a glimpse.” Taking a page right from Taylor’s playbook, Sophie put a hand on her hip and sighed. “So sad, really.” 

Taylor’s expression was flat before it morphed. She bit her bottom lip, straightened her posture and held up her cell phone. “Stand still,” she ordered.

Sophie took a protective step to place herself in between Keaton and the cell phone. “What do you think you’re doing, Tay?” 

“Being the business mind you’ll never be. Free advertising of the best kind right here,” Taylor said, gesturing in his direction. “I’m taking a picture for Twitter. If people know Keaton Stromberg is here, maybe they’ll come and it’ll drum up some business. Dad always said I was the marketing whiz,” she spoke proudly before surveying Sophia up and down. “I’d love to tell you not to worry, that you at least have your looks, but we both know that’s not entirely true, don’t we, Sophia? Say cheese, Keaton.” 

A scowl marred his face. “Say sorry to your sister,” he shot back. “Try that, then maybe I’ll say cheese.”   

His instant defense made Sophie smile but Taylor ignored them both.  “Move,” she repeated.