Chapter Six

She’d read about this feeling in books. It robbed her of both breath and balance and made her head spin in a merry-go-round. Did that just happen? She came clumsily through the front door and into the living room. It was pitch black, except a night-light plugged into a hallway outlet.  Good. Not even the walls could see her blush.

She tiptoed up the stairs and they creaked as she went, determined to oust her arrival home. She made it to her room, shut the door, leaned against it for support and let out a long, exaggerated sigh.

“Well,” Taylor’s voice came from the walk in closet, “that was dramatic.” She emerged with a casual polka-dot dress held up against her body. “You don’t actually wear this, do you?”

“You’ve seen me wear it,” Sophie said. “What are you doing in my room?”

Mad Catter slinked behind her, wrapping himself through Taylor’s legs and feet, purring like an engine. Taylor shrugged. “Can’t blame a girl for being worried. You’re my little sister and you were out with a celebrity. You’re young and easily misled.”

Uh huh. Taylor was concerned with one thing in life: herself.

“Rest assured,” Sophie said. “I’m great.”

Taylor set the dress on the bed, sitting down and patting the blanket for Sophie to sit beside her.

“I’ll stand.”

“Suit yourself. I’m glad to see he didn’t take advantage of your good nature.”

Was that a joke? “We both know he’s the last person on earth who would ever take advantage of anyone else, Taylor. You should know that though. Don’t people like you have some kind of radar that sounds alarm bells when you’re around a fellow self-serving narcissist? It must be eerily quiet for you around Keaton.”

Taylor ignored her jab, picking at her nails. “Tell me about your date, Sophia.”

No! Those were her moments to treasure. “I’d rather not,” she said, picking the dress up from the bed and smoothing out the fabric before heading in the direction of the closet to hang it up.

“That’s a shame,” Taylor said. “And here I thought we could have some sisterly bonding.”

Sophie hung the dress up, angered that her sister so effortlessly ruined the whimsical feeling she’d been enjoying moments ago. “We don’t do sisterly bonding. I’ll give you one chance, why the sudden interest? Wait,” she said, sitting on her desk chair. “It must drive you insane that someone sees me instead of you.”

“Does not,” Taylor said defensively. “I’m curious. I’ve never dated a celebrity and I wanted to know what it was like. Did he kiss you?”

A flash of warmth radiated through her body at Taylor’s mention of a kiss. She looked away, not wanting to reveal a single thing about their goodbye. She also wanted to hide any trace of sadness at the realization that Taylor and her would never have a normal relationship.

They should be in pajamas, eating chocolates while Sophie spilled every detail about how amazing Keaton was. And Taylor could be happy for her. Truly happy. Not catty or jealous or condescending. But that reality belonged in an entirely parallel universe to the one that existed.

“Based on your silence,” Taylor continued, “I’m going to assume he did.” She rose to her feet. “I’m stunned that you managed to catch him but fair warning, you’d better get your nails done and dig them in. He’s a celebrity, Sophia. Easy to fall for, hard to keep. Oh and Mom and Dad called. They’re coming home in a couple of days. Dad is still pissed about my phone.”