22- A Bud in Me.

The car ride to school was the most silent I'd ever heard Trent be

The car ride to school was the most silent I'd ever heard Trent be. He hadn't said a single word to me since last night and something told me this is how it was going to be until we parted ways. Most of me didn't care, he could sulk all he wanted. It was his fault for not following orders and deciding to get involved. None of this would have ever happened if Valak had just let me work alone. Like I always did.

I found myself questioning what the point behind me being on this mission was. Valak had managed to figure out all the information I'd withheld from her either way, without my help and very soon she'd probably know who Grayson was and kill him still; so what was the point of getting a partner, going to that school and pretending to be something I'm not?

"For your sanity" she'd say. Yet everyday in that hell hole was driving me nuts. She didn't realise how much of an identity crisis I was drowning in; if I couldn't be a executor in the Agency, then what the hell was I supposed to be? 

We finally got to school and put the car in park, Trent wasted no time in grabbing his bag and leaping out of his seat, banging the door shut behind him. He clearly hadn't heard Valak when she'd said don't cause a scene. I grabbed my bag as well and followed him through the gates.

"Hey, what happened to your arm?" Nito asked.

Trent didn't bother to stop. "Ask her," he replied gruffly, making his way into the corridors.

"We had a little sparing accident," I said then reached for what I thought was a joint in his hands.

"That's just tobacco," he said a little too late. I coughed and rub my tongue against the roof of my mouth to rid it of the bitter taste. "The good stuff is back in the man-cave. We can hit some later if you like."

"Sounds like a plan," I said as I led us both to our first class.

The rest of the day went by like a breeze. For the first time since I'd been there I felt like a normal student. I had no target to find -because I already knew who he was, therefore no mission to pursue. I could just live; aside from the fact that my first real... friend if I could call G69 that, was pissed at me and I had to kill Grayson, I was just a typical girl at an all boys school.

I actually participated in classes that day and instead of using lesson time to calculate ways to catch the culprit I learnt a whole lot in Math and Chemistry, nothing I didn't know already of course, but it was a refreshing experience -and I actually listened to the back and forth banter at lunch which I instantly regretted.