Chapter 3: Fire and Water

The rain finally changed from a light sprinkle to a torrential downpour as the clouds covered the sky overhead.  The wind made it worse, causing the cascade of droplets to be traveling sideways as it fell.  The waves continued to rock the island up and down.  Whatever fires were left were quickly extinguished by the downpour, as steam and smoke rose into the sky from all parts of the island.  The stems began creaking and groaning as the hot metal cracked from the cool water striking its surface.  Pods were falling from their housings into the water and onto parts of the island.  Whatever the motive was for destroying the place, it was obvious the task had been.  Nothing had been left untouched by the flames.

Nathan and Boiler in the midst of the debris, soaking wet, as if they were oblivious to their surroundings.  Neither made any movement as they tried to understand the situation.  Both were confused, and neither dared to make the next comment.  Eventually, the tension became so overwhelming that Boiler finally broke the silence.

"So you really have no idea who I am?  The name Boiler doesn't ring a bell? "  Boiler just stood there, astonished that he wasn't even remembered by Nathan.

"I'm sorry, I haven't the slightest idea.  Are you sure you have the right Nathan?  I think I would remember a...well… someone of your stature."  Nathan was not used to seeing a person made partly of metal, valves, wiring, and gears.  From what he had heard, they were called humechs, which was short for human mechanicals.

"What do you remember?” questioned Boiler, “Honestly I'm at a loss for words.  I thought that of all people, you would remember me, no matter how long it's been."  Boiler was becoming disappointed by the confused look Nathan was giving him. Nathan was five years of age the first time Boiler had met him.  He had shown him around the ships, teaching him all the mechanical devices and tools, and even watched after him when his dad had been busy working on his projects.  And now, that kid had grown into a young man, with no knowledge of the past.

"I'm sorry...I really don't know who you are.  I've been here for as long as I can remember.   All I know is that my father was killed in a boiler explosion, and that that same explosion injured me severely, to the point that I can't even hardly remember him.  My only memories are from living here, which has been nearly ten years now."  Nathan just shrugged his shoulders, sorry to not be able to help the man standing in front of him.  It was possible that this man was telling the truth, and that he just couldn't remember.  Yet, for some unexplainable reason, Nathan felt the circumstances permitted him to give the man a chance.  He had no home, no job, and now, he apparently had men trying to find him; dangerous men.

"Nathan...I know this may come as a shock, but I knew your father.  We were good friends.  As a result, I came to meet you.  You were always fascinated with mechanics.  They were just like puzzles to you...always asking 'Boiler what's this...how does it work...what's it do?' You always stayed with me whenever your father was busy.  You loved being in the engine rooms.  I'm just astounded that you don't remember them. 

"I don’t recall any of that.  I'm willing to believe you, but I can't say that I fully trust you...not just yet.  Given what's just happened, anything's possible.  Speaking of which, I think we should go down below, given the fact that this whole place is falling apart."  Nathan turned to open the latch on the door behind him.  It was hard to turn the slippery latch; he could barely grasp it.

"You make a good case...here, let me help you with that."  Boiler grabbed the latch with his prosthetic hand and clamped down on it, nearly bending it.  Nathan could tell that even he was struggling to open the door just by the look on his face.  Eventually, the latch gave way and the door came swinging open as steam gushed toward them from within.

The two covered their faces with their arms and walked into the dark stairwell.  They descended slowly, making sure there were no over-pressurized pipes about to burst or raging fires that hadn't been extinguished by the built-in sprinkler system. As they continued to walk downwards, the air became cooler, and the walls changed from cracked, steaming metal to a refined, sleek look.  It was apparent that the damage was only on the surface.  They were now safe in the subsurface corridors of the island.