Chapter 7: A Stroll Through the Park

It was a vibrant sunny day, like most days experienced in the springtime of Charleston, South Carolina.  The trees were in bloom and the countryside was filled with flowering plants and luscious green grass.  The birds were continuing  with their usual calls in the distance, and a few rabbits could be seen hopping around a nearby hill.  It would have been an excellent day to relax and enjoy the weather had it not been for the funeral.

                A group of people stood on top of a hill a few miles outside the city of Charleston, close to an old oak tree.  Everyone was dressed in funeral attire, men with their black suits and ties, and the women with their black dresses with tightened collars.  The collective was situated in front of a wooden casket adorned with flowers of what appeared to be every species known to man.  Mourning could be heard throughout the crowd as the reverend gave his solemn speech. 

                After a long, well thought out prayer, the flowers were cleared and the casket was slowly lowered into the ground.  An eight year-old Nathan Axle stood at the front of the crowd, clenching his father's hand.  He looked up to see his father, the man he never knew to shed a tear, standing quiet with eyes watering.  It was apparent that he was trying to be strong for his son.

                Nathan looked back to where the casket had lain- now it was six feet below .  As Nathan's eyes surveyed the scene, they drifted over to the headstone.  It was elaborately decorated with flowers, and a beautiful engraving of a female's silhouette.  Below, read the words:

Loving Wife and Mother

Charlotte E. M. Axle

1871-1908

                Nathan stood there, about to lose control of his emotions, but managing to remain strong, just like his father.  Nathan knew he could never forget this day- every image, every action that took place would be ingrained into the back of his skull.  It was only a few months ago that his mother had been diagnosed with the illness, soon after becoming bed ridden, and now this.  Nathan hadn't slept the past three days, constantly thinking about his mother, now lying in her grave. 

                The mourners left- the friends and family of Nathan and his father.  After the reverend gave his final condolences to Nathan and his father, he left the scene, leaving the two standing at the edge of the grave.  Nathan couldn't take it any longer, "Mom!  Mommy!  Why?  Why did you leave?"  He fell to his knees, looking over to see the casket in the ground, knowing his mother was on the other side of the wooden top.

                "That's enough Nathan..." his father said, stumbling on the words as he tried to hold in his own pain. "It's time to go.  Your mom is in a better place."  His father placed his hand on Nathan's shoulder, then grabbed his hand, trying to pull him away slowly.  Nathan refused to stand up, never wanting to leave for the fear that he would never see his mother again.  He was waiting...hoping that the casket would open and his mother would be there, just awakening from a deep sleep.

                "Nathan...we have to go."  At this point, Nathan's hand was being pulled harder, causing him to fall away from his knees.

                "No! Let me go!" Nathan began screaming  as he was being dragged across the ground by his father.  Try as he might, he could not release the grip his father had on his hand.  It didn't make sense that his father would be so cold now, dragging him away from the grave of his mother.  Nathan screamed as loud as  he could, but it was to no avail.  He was being dragged across the grass, which had an odd texture to it.  It was soft and squishy, somewhat like mud.  He looked up into the sky, straight at the sun, which gave off such a bright illumination that he was forced to close his eyes.  His eyelids felt extremely heavy now.  He was fighting to open them.  A slit managed to open, revealing the same bright light, but when he managed to pry them fully open, he realized he was no longer staring at the sun, but at a busted, yet still illuminated, lamp on the side of a locomotive.