Chapter 22 - Compromise

I stared at my little sister for what seemed like ages. I wanted nothing more than to be with her, to help raise her in this confusing time in her life. Blue Mountain would serve as a better home for her than Gold Wind. All she had there was our father who was likely too consumed by his own grief and self-pity to care about raising a thirteen-year-old girl. In Blue Mountain, Hailey could be a part of our family – I could be there for her, and she'd get to know Wyatt's family.

But what if I didn't want to be with Wyatt? What would happen to her then? I couldn't possibly expect my thirteen-year-old sister to accept life as a rogue. I could barely accept it myself!

"H-Hailey," I stuttered. "Things are just...very complicated right now. I promise I'll explain it all to you, but it's too much to tell right now."

Her face lit up with hope, resulting in a sinking feeling in my stomach, "So you're going to come home?"

I didn't know what to say to her. Part of me wanted to be livid with Wyatt for using my own sister against me. He knew she was my weak spot, but looking into his sad, tired eyes, I found my anger fading. He loved me, and he wanted me to come home. He was desperate. If he were a truly cruel man, he could have threatened my sister's life or even taken me against my will in this moment.

"I'll come back for a few days to visit you," I said. I desperately wanted to spend time with my sister, and it would only be fair to give Wyatt another chance. Maybe he would be more understanding this time.

Hailey jumped up and down excitedly, and I forced a sad smile. I didn't miss the smile that also appeared on Wyatt's face. He looked so sad and worn down. It was truly difficult to see my mate, a strong Alpha, in such a condition.

I turned my attention towards Wyatt for a moment as I pulled Hailey into a hug, "This does not mean I'm choosing you over Rhett. I'm simply giving you an equal chance like I have him, and spending time with my sister," I explained.

Wyatt nodded in understanding, although he didn't look happy, "I'll prove to you that Blue Mountain is where you belong, Hana."

Ignoring his comment, I had an assertion of my own, "I need to go back to Rhett to let him know what's going on. I'll meet you back here when I'm done."

Wyatt frowned but nodded. Maybe he was beginning to realize he didn't have complete control over me anymore, and that forbidding me from something wasn't going to accomplish anything.

I nodded in return and nudged Hailey back in Wyatt's direction. She shot me a look of confusion but obliged.

I quickly walked a safe distance away before darting behind a tree, removing my clothing, and shifting into my wolf form. I'd be much faster this way. With my wolf in control, we sprinted back half a mile to where Rhett and his men awaited us.

As their distinct rogue smell overcame us, we came to a halt and dodged behind a tree once again to shift and change back into the clothes we had been carrying on our back. I walked the remainder of the way in my human form.

Rhett greeted me as soon as he sensed my presence. He popped out from behind a tree and pulled me tightly against his chest.

"How'd it go?" he asked.

I hesitated, not sure how to tell him the news. I didn't want to leave him, even if it was just for a few days. Everything about the situation I was in was deeply conflicting.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Rhett asked softly as he cupped my face in his hands.

"My...my sister. She's a member of Blue Mountain pack now," I told him quietly.