Chapter 35 - Life

-IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END!!!-

The next morning, Rhett and I woke up rather early so we could properly prepare for the day ahead. The trial would be held in one of the larger meeting rooms later in the morning, and anyone in the pack was allowed to attend. The trial would be conducted by Rhett and myself with the addition of the pack elders, which mostly consisted of older members of the pack who were formerly betas, gammas, and deltas.

Rhett was dressed and out of the room before me due to the Alpha's presence being needed prior to the beginning of the trials. I took my time showering and applying my makeup, knowing I wasn't required to be there until the actual trial began. Today, I did light, classy makeup with my hair down in loose curls. My outfit was professional, of course, featuring a chiffon tank-blouse tucked into a black pencil skirt.

With another hour left to spare, I decided to head to the kitchen so Mary Ann could cook me breakfast. It seemed like it had been forever since I'd had breakfast with the sweet woman, and I genuinely missed our morning conversations.

When I rounded the corner from the hallway to the kitchen, I found Mary Ann already hard at work flipping pancakes on the stove. I smiled as I approached the bar stools and sat down, admiring Mary Ann's work.

"Good morning, Luna. It's nice to see you," Mary Ann said, never taking her eyes off the food in front of her.

"Good morning, Mary Ann. It's lovely to see you too. I've come to miss our morning chats," I said with a small giggle.

Mary Ann smiled as she dished the pancakes and eggs onto a plate before sliding the plate over to me, "You seem much happier, Luna. It makes my heart happy as well to see everything's as it should be."

Mary Ann had such a way with her words. She was always kind and proper, yet provided wisdom and honesty at the same time. I returned her smile and agreed with a gentle nod before digging into my breakfast. I felt rather hungry this morning, and it made sense, seeing as we hadn't had a lot of time for proper meals recently. The pack dinner had been the first proper "sit-down" meal that we'd had since Rhett took over as Alpha.

Mary Ann and I continued to talk, catching up with one another as I ate my breakfast. As usual, Mary Ann only kept me company and didn't make a plate for herself. I made a mental note to invite Joshua for breakfast one morning as well. Perhaps they'd allow me to cook them a nice meal to show my appreciation.

After I finished my food, I bid Mary Ann goodbye for the day and made my way out of the Alpha's quarters and downstairs to the main level of the pack house where the meeting rooms were located.

Upon entering, I saw Rhett seated at a table at the front of the room with an open chair next to him, likely saved for me, and to his left was a larger table that seated the pack elders. The empty chairs at the back of the room nearest to the entrance were full of other pack members who wanted to attend, but the seating was first come, first serve, of course. Wyatt and Hazel were seated closer to the front with Veronica, Olivia, and Michael. Henry was seated by himself at the center of the room, awaiting his fate.

I quickly made my way across the room to join Rhett at our table, not wanting to draw too much attention to myself but knowing it was inevitable. Rhett nodded to me as I took my seat next to him, determined to keep up his serious, Alpha face during the trial.

"Now that all essential members are in attendance, we will begin the trial of Henry Windsor. Henry has been convicted of treason, and we will now hear all sides of the story," Rhett announced.

Everyone was silent as their Alpha spoke. Henry would have the opportunity to explain himself, and the elders would give opinions, but ultimately the final decision was up to Rhett alone. We hadn't had the chance to discuss the trial much, so I honestly didn't know what Rhett had decided to do. He could banish his father, making him a rogue, or he could even make him an Omega. Both of those scenarios seemed highly unlikely though. Henry was a former Alpha, and although he would be punished, they could only take the punishment so far.