Chapter Six

The next morning, Miss Peregrine left. She said that she had a new child to rescue. Her name was Charlotte and she would be my new roommate. The other children were told to look after me. I knew everyone now, and I was starting to make some good friends. Bronwyn was about my age, but everything around here was so modern. They had running water and glass in every window!

While Miss Peregrine was gone, some of the children went out to play "Raid the village". The aim of the game is to cause as much destruction as possible, in order to greatly inconvinience the villagers. Everyone besides Enoch, Victor, Millard and Hugh went out. I stayed at the house.
I had promised Claire that I would play with her anyway.

Everyone who had been playing Raid the Village came back around noon. Lunch was already prepared, and everything seemed rather organised considering Miss Peregrine's absence. There was plenty of talk about this new child and what her peculiarity could be. The afternoon went as one would normally expect it to. Everyone
did their chores and then we played and relaxed.

Later, we were eating supper in the dining room, when Miss Peregrine walked in. Behind her, was a girl, about my age. She was trembling. "Our new member wishes to introduce herself." Miss Peregrine stated.
The girl stepped forwards. "Urm, Hi. My name is Charlotte and"
Enoch cut in.
"What can you do?"
"Well," She began, "I can read minds and see people's pasts."
"Prove it then."
"Mr O'Connor!" Miss P snapped,
"It's fine," Charlotte said. "Enoch, you are a dead riser. You have lived in two loops and you were born to a family of undertakers." He was speachless. Charlotte did this for everyone, untill it came to Fiona. "Fiona, you were around in the irish"
"Please," Hugh said, "We do NOT talk about it."

Charlotte and I shared a room. She spent a while getting herself settled in before we were told to come to watch changeover. We were led outside, to a large area of the garden with topairies. I guessed that Fiona made them. We were handed strange looking masks, that Horace said would protect me from the gas, whatever that meant.

Besides being almost burnt alive, the changeover was the scariest thing I had ever experienced. Bombs were dropping everywhere, bright flashes of light filling the sky. I saw a bomb, almost hit the house and I screamed. Things started flying past, and once it was finished, everyone besides me and Charlotte burst out laughing. Miss Peregrine walked towards me and Charlotte. "A word?" she said. We both followed.

She took us into a dark room with a desk, a chair and a sofa and signalled for us to sit down. "There is something you girls need to know." Miss Peregrine said, "You now live in a loop. You just watched the changeover, which happens everyday to maintain the loop. In a loop, each day repeats itself, meaning that today is september 3rd 1940 and tomorrow will be the same. You will not age while you live in the loop, however, if you were to leave, you would age rapidly and gain all of the years spent in the loop."

This was far too much to take in. I was living in the FUTURE!!!!! Charlotte and I went to bed. We would surely have registered this by morning. There couldn't be any more supprises, could there?

Another chapter done!!!!! I have a bit of an idea about where this story could go now. Thank you all for everything,
Poppy 😊