Chapter Nine

Years passed, and I started to feel more comfortable in the house. Not much really happened, except for one thing, a new peculiar joined us. His name was Abe, and he came from some place far from here. He could see the Hollows (normally invisible monsters who peculiars needed to hide from). Charlotte couldn't cope in the loop, and Abe's arrival reminded her of the outside world, which she was no longer part of. She was determined to leave. It was impossible, if she left she would age forwards and be a fully grown woman, but when did that ever stop a dreamer from dreaming?

Charlotte's urged to leave the loop grew. She was a sensible girl though, so I was sure that she would never actually leave. I was wrong.

One day, everyone went to play raid the village, as we did most days. Charlotte said that she would wait behind the pub, because her peculiarity wasn't very useful. I went to the fountain in the square to use the water to cause trouble. Everyone else spread out across the village.

After the game, we went behind the pub to find Charlotte, only to realise that she wasn't there. We guessed that she was back at the house, so we went back as usual. We arrived back at the house, to find Miss Peregrine standing outside with her hands on her hips.
"Where have you been?" She asked, looking sternly at us all,
"Urm, well," We started before being cut off,
"And where is Charlotte?" She asked, her angry expression changing to a concerned one,
"We don't know," we all mumbled,
"Miss Bruntly," she said, "Look after the younger children, they are in the parlor, the rest of you, look after yourselves, don't leave the house, I may not be back by supper."

With that, the woman turned into a falcon and flew away. Everyone else walked into the house, but I couldn't. Charlotte could be in danger, and I was terrified for her. I started hyperventilating and sat down on the grass, hugging my knees. After what felt like hours, I stood up and dried my eyes on the hem of my dress. Crying had never made anything better before, why would it help now? I walked inside and started reading a book in my room.

Hours later, Miss Peregrine returned, alongside a woman who looked remarkably like Charlotte, only much older. Charlotte was nowhere to be seen. When Miss Peregrine entered the house, we were all called to the parlor. We all sat down, and the woman Miss Peregrine had brought back began to cry. "Children, I have something to tell you all, Miss Charlotte has aged forwards, she will be moving to a different loop tomorrow." Everyone gasped. We all knew about ageing forwards, but none of us expected it to happen to a member of our loop. "You are all excused," Miss Peregrine said, "Except for Miss Redwood."

Everyone left the room, and I was left facing the bird. "Miss Redwood," she began, "I know that you have formed a firm friendship with Charlotte,"
"Yes, I have," I replied,
"You may, if you wish, join her in the new loop." It was no real question, even if she if aged forwards, I couldn't leave Charlotte.
"I will go," I said,
"One last thing," Miss Peregrine said, "This loop is for the hard cases."

I didn't know what that meant, but I would go with Charlotte anyway. I went upstairs and began packing.

I was ready for the next stage of my adventure, whatever that may be.

The end.