Chapter 2 : A Weighted Fate

The arch-mage tower, a large structure that is held together with ancient runes. Mages from around the continent constantly try to at least look into the tower at least once. Yet, the young Cross and his companion Olivia are allowed entry immediatly. Many speculate what could possibly be so special about the young farmer boy, however after a few minutes they vanish as they enter the confinement barrier that is bound to the tower.

A man cloaked in blue, and other symbols of some importance, began what seems to be a speech to a group of what prepared to be apprentices.

"You are here today, to see if any of you will be called upon by the great master to be an apprentice. Whoever gains this position will be held as an absolute authority, only being outranked by the high mages, myself Lord Artime, and the Arch-Mage himself Count Solomon. This exercise will test your aptitude to use magic during a situation that could prove fatal. This will not be a drill, it will be a test of wisdom and skill."

He continues long after the pair and their caravan leaves the courtyard. Stopped in-front of the tower, the guards that were escorting them tell them to get out of the carriage. As the pair dismount, cross asks a question to Olivia.

"Is that your teacher, the person who was giving the message to the apprentices?"

Olivia, who is an apprentice herself speaks in a more haughty tone, "Yes, he is, the Highest ranked mage other than the arch-mage. However, those weren't apprentices. They were fully fledged mages, who already severed under a master before. They were some of the best, yet they will all likely die."

Shocked at her calmness, Cross still walking to the door returns, "What, die! And you don't have a problem with any of that?"

"I never said I don't have a problem with it I just don't feel for them, since I was hand picked by the second strongest mage on the continent. So, I'm just lucky, that and I'm guessing that the arch-mage already has an apprentice in mind. We should hurry, the strongest man alive won't be happy if you're late."

Finishing the conversation, the pair walk through the doors and are taken to a room where they can wait to be called upon. After several minutes, the man in blue walks in sighing.

"So, you are the one named Cross, my apprentice speaks much of you, however she needs to return to making wards, ... Doesn't she."

"Yes... Master." Olivia turns to Cross and says, "I have to go I'll see you soon."

Olivia walks out with her master, and Cross remains confined in the magical tower.

Several hours pass, or so it seems, from what it looks the tower itself distorts time, so the inhabitant never know when the time in the outside world actually is unless they have a clock. Some thoughts crossed Cross' mind.

"Why am I here?Can I go home? Did they forget me? Am I going to die in this room?" All of his thoughts remained negative until something like a loud bell is heard. A man tall a and skinny, who could easily pass as a woman enters, and signals for Cross to follow.

"Do not speak until you are spoken to, the arch-mage has the power to destroy contents and is the only mage that doesn't need contracts to use powerful spells, is that understood."

Cross, knowing that if he tried to speak it would be a flood of questions, simply shacked his head and followed the man. Cross began to soon tire since he hasn't eaten more than some dried meat back in the caravan, yet he is constantly urged to keep climbing up the tower. Eventually after what seemed like a score of climbing, they reached the top of the tower.  A door that is locked, now opens. Without thinking Cross enters the room. He is met with an elderly man, or so he thought sitting in front of a desk made of the finest wood. Carved in a single piece. The elderly begins his conversation with the boy.