The One to Go

The One to Go

Regulus found himself in a stone passageway with lowly flickering torches. It was cold as ice and a draft blew through the corridor - explaining the flickering. Pale, barely existent moonlight spilled out out of an open doorway a few steps away, and he stood, gathering himself a moment as his head and stomach caught up to him from the rush of the disapparation. Kreacher stood beside him, looking up at him with wide, worried eyes.

"Is Master Regulus alright?" Kreacher's voice drawled.

Regulus nodded.

Kreacher glanced at the door.

Regulus's Dark Mark was still searing his arm and his teeth were still grit and he reached his hand up to his face and roughly wiped away the tears that were falling from his eyes with the sleeve of his jumper. He looked at Kreacher. "Go back and bring whoever has decided to come back with you."

Kreacher nodded, staring up at Regulus as he continued to wipe his eyes. "Master is very brave," Kreacher whispered.

Regulus looked at the elf.

"Just as Master's medallion says," Kreacher's voice trembled, "Master is very brave."

"Thank you, Kreacher," Regulus whispered.

Kreacher nodded.

Regulus stood up and walked toward the open doorway. He paused as he reached the frame and looked back. "Go," he breathed, and then he turned 'round and stepped through the door.

Voldemort had his wand pressed to Walburga Black's head. She was trembling, her face wincing, her eyes squeezed tightly shut, on her knees, her face coated with tears... "Avada ---"

"WAIT." Regulus cut Voldemort off. "WAIT. I'm here!"

Voldemort looked up, his eyes sweeping Regulus - and he smiled, stopping mid-spell. "Ah yes," came a high, rasping voice. "You've arrived only just in time boy!" He lowered his wand and Walburga Black fell forward onto the stone, shaking, openly sobbing.

Regulus wanted to step forward, to comfort her, but he didn't dare to as the Dark Lord stepped around her and started walking toward him, and he steeled himself and met the Dark Lord's eyes.

"I'M GOING TO BE THE ONE TO GO!" Sirius shouted, "AND THERE ISN'T A BLEEDING THING YOU'RE GOING TO SAY TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE!" He pushed his way around Lily to where Kreacher was sure to appear back at any moment, standing in exactly the place Kreacher had been moments before.

"I'm going too," Lily pressed.

"You aren't! And Kreacher has to obey me, as I'm technically one of his masters. If I tell him not to bring you, he can't bring you."

"Regulus told him to bring whoever decides!" Lily shouted, "He'll obey Regulus over you."

"YOU AREN'T COMING LILITH JEMIMA EVANS!"

"I AM COMING, SIRIUS ORION BLACK!"

"Bloody hell, will you both stop shrieking? The entire school's going to know we're here!" Remus pleaded.

Sirius glowered.

Lily glowered back.

"Why don't you both go?" Maryrose suggested.

They turned to look at her.

"What what about you two?" Sirius asked, his eyes moving from Maryrose to Remus.