Chapter Five - Burning Bright

Naturally Serena was the first of the two to wake when the sun rose the next morning. She turned on her side to see her friend still asleep, with their hands still intertwined. The performer laid back down to wait until Ash woke up. He looked too innocent and sweet to wake him up now.

A groggy Ash rubbed at his eyes and blinked. It took him a few moments to remember where he was, and as soon as he did his whole face lit up. He sat up to see Serena facing him.
"Morning, sleepyhead," she giggled while pulling him in for a hug. "Thank you for everything last night. You really shouldn't be so nervous about singing, your voice is beautiful," she winked. Ash blushed and casually grabbed her hand, playing with her fingers.
"You know, ugh, I don't really know how to say this," Ash sighed. "Last night, was pretty nice. No, not nice. It was amazing." He looked off to the side, too embarrassed to make eye contact.

"Then you wouldn't mind if I did this?" smirked Serena. She took her hand out of Ash's and cupped his cheek. She pulled his head down and pressed her lips against his. Pulling back after a few seconds, blue eyes met brown. Ash's face was bright red. Serena had a look of concern on her face and Ash realized he might've been giving off the wrong impression. He didn't kiss back because he was just.. stunned. There was no other way for him to describe his emotions. Serena awkwardly moved to stand up but was instantly pulled back down. She felt a pair of warm, toned arms wrap around her waist.

"You will never be alone."

This time Ash initiated, pulling Serena to his chest. This kiss was more intense, more passionate. Ash lightly tugged at her bottom lip with his teeth and felt the girl in his arms shudder. He leaned back and pulled Serena on top of him. She placed her legs against Ash's hips and pinned his arms against the floor with her own. A minute later they both reluctantly pulled away to catch their breath. Smiling down at the beautiful boy below her, Serena leaned down to plant a soft and sweet kiss on his lips before standing back up.
This is love.

As Ash placed his hands on the ground to help himself get up he felt a small, rough object underneath him. Pulling his hand away, a glistening iridescent heart scale was revealed. Wonder where this came from - I guess it's a sign, Ash thought as he grinned and went to show Serena.

The honey blonde girl and raven haired trainer giggled as they pulled their cold weather gear on. They would've finished twice as fast if they hadn't been nudging each other and pecking one other on the lips every twenty seconds. The two were truly together now and they had no desire to keep their hands off each other.

"Oh man, we better enjoy this while we can. When we get back Bonnie will be all over this business. No secrets are ever safe from her," Ash laughed.
"Clemont's stuck sleeping with his sister, because now that I've experienced the joy that is cuddling with you I don't think I can ever go back," said Serena with a wink as she pulled her hat on. Ash had no complaints.

"We better get a move on so I can get some training in. I think I figured out what I need to do to beat Wulfric and get the iceberg badge." Serena gave him a quizzical look, asking what he meant without having to speak.
"I was too focused on being a strong trainer, too focused on the goal. I need to work together with my pokemon more than I have been. We have to bring out each other's strengths! The thought of winning my final badge and entering the league prevented me from being able to work as one with my pokemon," Ash explained.

With their gear back on, the trainer and performer took each other's hand.
"After you, girlfriend," Ash said smugly, allowing Serena to lead the way on the long walk through the snow back to the Pokemon Center. Serena tilted her head and kissed his cheek.

"There's my Ash."