Chapter Three - Heating Up

Serena sat on the cold stone of the cave hugging herself. She was starting to worry about the cute raven haired boy who had gone to look for wood. Wait, cute? Uhh, the girl thought to herself. She felt her cheeks heat up, and of course Mr. Ash Ketchum had chosen then to come back from his search. He placed several logs against the wall before turning to face her.
"Hey, Serena, are you okay? You look a bit.. red," Ash giggled, placing his right hand on her shoulder. She covered her face with her hands, muttering that she was just worried about the weather. Him and his stupid adorable laugh.

There was now a small fire going within the cave. Both of the teens removed their snow gear and laid everything down flat to dry off. They sat on opposite sides of the fire, sitting comfortably in silence as they warmed up. Ash glanced over at Serena. She looks pretty with her hair all wet and wavy like that. Wait, what! he thought, blushing once again. He sighed and closed his eyes, but was jolted to his senses instantly after doing so. He looked over and saw that Serena had jumped too at the loud crack they heard in the distance. It was followed by the sound of a tree crashing to the ground, colliding with the branches of surrounding trees on the way down. By this point the snow was falling so hard that they couldn't see anything outside but the contrast of the white snow against the dark sky.

"Ash? I'm scared," whispered Serena. The light of the fire illuminated her worried face, and Ash motioned for her to come around to where he was sitting. She crawled around to the opposite side of the fire and was pulled into Ash's lap. She gasped at the sound of what was either a small tree or massive branch plummeting into the snow, and she immediately felt Ash wrap his arms around her waist. He was so soft and warm against her chilled body.
"I-Is this okay?" asked the raven haired trainer shyly. Serena didn't answer, simply snuggling herself in tighter and resting her head under his chin. Ash smiled and took her hands in his own.
"I sure hope all of the pokemon out there are okay. There should be plenty of tree hollows and burrows for them to wait the storm out in though. I'm surprised that none of them found this cave before we did," commented Ash.
"It's practically always winter here so I guess most of them are used to this. We don't have to worry about our own pokemon, since I asked Clemont and Bonnie to stay behind and watch over them for us while we're gone," replied the blonde haired girl in his lap. They returned to silence and stared out at the blizzard ahead.

"I'm still a little bit afraid, Ash.. and getting tired," Serena said, followed by a yawn. The two teens giggled and she tilting her head up to look at him. "But I know I'm safe with you." She leaned in and softy pressed her lips against the boy's cheek. Ash felt like electricity was running through his veins. She had kissed him. Is this love?

Ash lowered his back against the cave wall with Serena still in his lap. To his dismay, she crawled out, but decided to move to his side and pull him onto the floor with her. She laid down in front of him to face the fire with her back pressed up against Ash. He quickly wove his arms around her and once again wrapped his fingers around hers. Neither the trainer or the performer knew what this meant for them (or their relationship for that matter), but there was no doubt that they were both enjoying this.

"Will you sing me to sleep?" the honey haired girl asked quietly.