Chapter Twenty-Six

When Kai looked back, he found Kestrel's riderless horse still following him. Seraiah and Kestrel had disappeared from sight.

Knowing Kestrel, she was extremely angry with him right now and would like to murder him herself for going off on his own.

It's for her own good, he thought, leaning further forward on his horse to avoid as much of the wind as he could.

His horse wouldn't be able to keep up this frantic pace for much longer, but he would have to hope it was good enough.

He snuck another glance back and spotted the mages approaching the boulder where he'd left Seraiah. From the looks of it, there were only two of them. If it came down to a fight, he might be able to take them—assuming his magic played along.

Then, to his horror, they slowed and stopped.

Kai sat up, slowing his horse and wheeling the beast around to face the direction they'd come. Kestrel's horse kept going.

He stood in his stirrups and shaded his eyes against the harsh sun. From what he could tell, they didn't appear to be leaving their horses. They stood there, hands gesturing in the air like they were having an argument.

"Please, don't find them," Kai murmured. "Chase me."

Kestrel should be able to hold her own well enough against the two of them. However, she had Seraiah to watch out for, and there was no telling what sort of magic these mages might be able to use.

Finally, after several long moments, there was movement in his direction.

He quickly turned his horse and urged it onward.

Eventually, their speed began to falter.

"Not yet. Not yet. Just a little further," he said to his horse. "You can do it."

He had to be careful. If he pushed the beast too hard, he'd find himself on foot, and then he'd really be in trouble.

A check on the mages showed they were still following, but their mounts had begun to tire, too. The distance between them grew until they were small specks behind him.

Kai let his horse slow and searched the horizon. Kestrel's horse was nowhere to be seen, but he did spy a stream of water.

Perfect.

Kai let his horse walk and kept an eye on the mages. They were still a way off, giving him plenty of time to set his trap.

The stream may have been little more than a trickle of water, but with some help from his magic, it became a torrent of rushing water. Until he let it go, the mages would be unable to cross to the other side. They'd have to find another way around.

Kai dismounted and led his poor, exhausted horse a short distance upstream and out of direct eyesight.

Then he waited.

The drum of hoof beats announced their arrival, but all fell silent as they beheld the water.

"Was this here before?" one of them asked.

"Doesn't matter. We have to get to the other side. Go, you stupid beast."

"If we can't cross, then they couldn't either."

"You see those tracks?"

Kai smiled. He'd made sure to leave a very clear trail for them.

"I think we'll have—"

A horse's snort was followed by a loud splash and a string of curses. Then came hoofbeats.

"Why are you standing there? We're wasting time. Go get my horse, and we'll find another place to cross."