Chapter Thirty-Eight

Seraiah swallowed hard, but did not respond.

"I will give you the information you seek," the Summer King said slowly, "but only you, seer, will be able to see it." He cackled at his own joke. "Yes, yes." He scrubbed his hands together. "I will give you a vision of your precious queen."

Seraiah waited. She knew there would be something he wanted in return, and that was what she was dreading.

"But you must do something for me," he continued.

She caught a glimpse of Kestrel out of the corner of her eye, looking ready to protest. Kestrel had promised Kai she would keep Seraiah out of this, but Seraiah knew there was nothing Kestrel could do or say now. It was too late.

Much too late.

"I hear the dragons are shedding their scales this time of year. I would love to possess one of those beauties. A golden one." His eyes lit up with delight. "Yes, seer, bring me a golden dragon scale, and I will give you your vision."

"No," Kestrel spoke for the first time. The minute the word left Kestrel's mouth, Seraiah knew it was a mistake.

The Summer King whirled on her. "No one asked for your opinion, elf."

He turned back to Seraiah. "Let's make this more interesting, shall we? Bring me the dragon scale, and I will give you the vision and your friends back."

"And if I refuse?" she asked nervously. Kestrel had said they didn't have to accept any deals. They could walk away. She knew it would be safer for all of them if she declined, and they tried to seek the information elsewhere.

"And if you refuse . . . you and your elf friends will remain here with me, as my honored guests."

He did not need to add the forever part. Seraiah understood he had no intention of letting them go.

"Think carefully, seer. Enjoy my court for the night and give me an answer in the morning."

If they could slip away, maybe they could get back to Nyrene before anyone noticed they were missing.

"Don't even think about it, human. You would never make it."

Kestrel bowed. "Your Majesty, thank you for your hospitality." She spoke as though they had been having a pleasant chat about the weather, and he had invited them to stay for tea—as though he hadn't just given them a death sentence.

The others bowed as well, and Seraiah forced herself to bend at the waist before Kestrel grabbed her arm and pulled her away. She led their group off the dais and back into the revelers.

The music was no longer pulling Seraiah to dance.

They followed Kestrel over to the edge of the circle, into the shadow of a building. "This was a mistake," Kestrel hissed when they were hidden. "We shouldn't have come here when we don't have enough leverage to use for bargaining. I was hoping they wouldn't know how desperate we were, but of course, they did."

"Well, it's not like we can leave now," Seraiah said. "The second I thought about it, he knew like he'd read my mind."

Kestrel snorted. "He can't read minds. He only wants you to think he can."

"Then how did he know I was trying to think of ways out of here?"

Kestrel folded her arms over her chest and leaned back against the side of the building. Her eyes roved over the dancing crowd. "He's lived an incredibly long time and knows how to read people. We might think we're unique, but he knows better. It's why he's difficult to bargain with. He can play the game far more successfully than we could ever dream of."