The Unrequited Love (Darren Dreamer)

Her eyes were a beautiful chocolate brown, her hair as dark as a starless midnight sky. She was kind, funny, smart and beautiful. Cassandra. Her name means to excel, to shine, and she did. She was brilliant, a shining star. But she would never love me. She was engaged to a man who would never appreciate her brains, he only cared for what she looked like. To him she was a prize, he managed to seduce the shy Cassandra Goth. She was so happy when he proposed, I pretended to be happy for her, she was my friend after all, but she didn't know what a womanizer that man was. She only ever saw me as her friend. I was a widower, a single father, an artist, but I would never be her lover. I never meant to fall in love with her, then again you can never plan love. It was two after Darleen's funeral when I met her. I thought I would never love again. I had quit my job to dedicate my life to my art, I was getting some more supplies when I bumped into her. I thought that I had met an angel, she introduced herself and we began talking about different art techniques, from there we began talking about books, films, and plays. Before we knew it the store was closing. I didn't get my art supplies but I did get her number. We began talking on the phone and meet up with each other for lunch. She was sympathetic when I told her about Darleen. Over time we became good friends and she introduced me to her family, like her they were kind and friendly people. When her mother disappeared I made sure I was there for her. I'm not sure when I fell in love with Cassandra, but I began painting pictures of her, she was embarrassed at first, saying that there were more beautiful women than her to paint, but she never asked me to stop, so I didn't. I have many paintings of her, one of which I plan on giving her as a wedding gift, even if I can't be her husband I will always be there for her, I will be the best friend that I can be.